sync.ffs_db multiple PC's

Discuss new features and functions

Junde1944

I want to keep some directories in sync with more than 1 PC. Now i have seen, that there is also a file called sync.ffs_db created on the server side of the directories i want to keep in sync. Will the information in that database file collide with the a second PC sync operations or have every PC some identification in that database file?

Plerry

FreeFileSync (FFS) will not sync the sync.ffs_db file(s).
Conversely, each PC (client or server) involved in a two-way sync (or when you have enabled detecting moved and renamed files) will have its own sync.ffs_db file (after running the first sync).
This sync.ffs_db file contains a database with the status of files and directories per the end of the last sync.
FFS compares that to the actual file/directory status when running the next sync and enables FFS to determine changes since the last sync on either side. It also enables FFS to keep multiple (client) PCs in sync with one central (server) location by having each client PC run two-way syncs with just the central (server) location.

Junde1944

This means that I can safely synchronize another PC with the same server without changing the status of the previous PC? Will in that case a second sync.ffs_db will be created or is the existing one used?

Plerry

This means that I can safely synchronize another PC with the same server without changing the status of the previous PC?
Yes.
But obviously, if the sync with the present PC gives rise to change/update the server content, that change/update will migrate to the previous PC when running the next sync between the previous PC and the server.

If the same file has changed on both sides (client PC and server) since the last sync, FFS does not know what to do and reports this as an unresolved conflict. FFS then allows the user to manually select the action.
Will in that case a second sync.ffs_db will be created or is the existing one used?
As far as I know, if the same left or right base folder on the server is selected for the FFS syncs between each PC and the server, only a single sync.ffs_db file is created on the server.

Junde1944

OK, many thx. then i test that configuration today. The folder on the server is the same for every client, also the sync options. Only the folder on the client side is sometimes a subfolder on another harddrive.