Sync on Login and RealTimeSync

Discuss new features and functions

Junde1944

Just for clarifying if i have done something wrong...

I have setup a sync job to sync a local directory with a remote SFTP directory. That seems to work in FreeFileSync GUI without any problems. Only the first sync has estimated the copy direction wrong the first time. After the correction and the first sync, both directories were synchronous. I saved this job and entered it in the Windows 10 Scheduler as a job for the user's login. This also seems to work. Now this job works only once directly after the login. If files change during the log-in session, they remain unsynchronized until the next log-in. I suppose the RealTimeSync.exe is meant for such situations. But I have to start it manually.

I have now entered the following in the tab "Syncronization" > "Run command" > "On completion:":
"C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\RealTimeSync.exe" "c:\Users\testuser\Documents\Notes.ffs_real"

Is that correct?
Or is there another/better way?

Junde1944

The above setup seems to be not a good way. I was shocked when I saw hundreds of processes with RealTimeSync.exe in taskmanager. Is there a better way?

Junde1944

Yes, that was the article i have initially read about RealTimeSync first. I think, my mistake was it to use the "on completion" command. Instead of using one single *.ff_batch file, i should use 2 files. The first for the scheduler with the RealTimeSync as "on completion" command and a second one without that entry, which is used than as parameter for RealTimeSync.exe

Plerry

You can use a single *.ffs_batch file for your sync(s).

- You can invoke FreeFileSync (FFS) opening said *.ffs_batch file as a scheduled job on user login
- and define a RealTimeSync (RTS) job, monitoring one or more folders that upon detecting a change in said folder(s) invokes FFS to run said *.ffs_batch sync.
You can then store that RTS job as a *.ffs_real file.
- Next you define RTS to run the job stored in the *ffs_real file as a service.

So, you need a *.ffs_batch file and a *.ffs_real file, not two *.ffs_batch files