[Feature Request] Show error when "silent" batch job fails for reasons like low disk space

Discuss new features and functions

ubano

Situation: I'm running certain batch jobs very frequently. As I'm syncing folders that will have unpredictable files that cannot be copied, it's not possible to add them to the list of ignored files. Therefore I enable "ignore errors" for the batch job.

Issue: When the destination runs out of disk space, I'm not alerted when jobs fail.

Wish: I want to ignore files that can't be copied but still get an error message if the backup can't be completed for other reasons (e.g. disk space low, destination not available, etc.).

Plerry

You can define a command to be run on completion (see Sync Settings).
You can use such command to run a user script that analyses the FFS log-file for certain keywords or errors, and notify you accordingly.

ubano

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

While that is certainly possible and I might end up doing just that, a built-in feature might be useful to other users, too.

Plerry

My few cents:
Your use case sounds quite specific.
Making the feature also useful to others likely requires the ability to select which of all possible errors (and warnings?) are to be ignored, and which should trigger an alert/notification. That is quite a list ...

ubano

At least in my use case it's unnecessary to select specific error messages or warnings. Therefore I would like to have just one additional check box:

Warn when the sync operation couldn't be completed (e.g. disk unavailable, disk full, disk disappeared, write error)

The reason is that there are two major categories of errors that currently cannot be distinguished:

1. Sync completed (everything that could be synced was synced)

2. Sync did not complete (in the worst case not a single file was synced)

AlainCh2

correct!
Same issue here.

+1

refer to:
viewtopic.php?t=6034#p20920