Debian server without GUI

Discuss new features and functions

BuTbka

Thank you for best free sync tool!
I am install FFS on server and config it with "ssh -X"
But when i try to use cron job
"/home/iam/FreeFileSync/Bin/FreeFileSync_x86_64" "/home/iam/SyncSettings.ffs_batch"
i am recive error
Error: Unable to initialize GTK+, is DISPLAY set properly?
Is there any way to run sync job without x server?
Thanks!

bgstack15

I would start by trying to run some other X program in that environment. I like xclock, but I don't think it's installed by default on most distros nowadays. So find something you can run, to see if it works. Thunar, or Nemo, or gedit, or gnome-terminal.
It is possible that the server is not configured to allow X forwarding. You will want to check /etc/ssh/sshd_config for the value of attribute X11Forwarding. If you need to change it, change it and then use service sshd restart or systemctl restart sshd or /etc/init.d/ssh restart or similar.
You can also verify that the DISPLAY value was indeed set in your environment. Run "echo $DISPLAY" and it should show you something similar to:
$ echo $DISPLAY
:0
If, X11 forwarding is already working as indicated by the other program running correctly, and DISPLAY is set correctly, we then need to figure out what is going on with FreeFileSync which is probably beyond my experience but I'm willing to look at verbose logs/error messages with you.

BuTbka

Thanks. But in my first post i am write that i am configured FFS with X forwarding.
I am install FFS on server and config it with "ssh -X" BuTbka, 08 Feb 2019, 23:21
My question is how to use FFS with scheduling. I don't want always press sync button through X forwarding.

Plerry

This seems to be described here.
And obviously, you need to define a FFS sync stored as a *.ffs_batch file, not as a *.ffs_gui file.

BuTbka

This seems to be described here.
And obviously, you need to define a FFS sync stored as a *.ffs_batch file, not as a *.ffs_gui file. Plerry, 17 Feb 2019, 12:14
Just look at first post!
"/home/iam/FreeFileSync/Bin/FreeFileSync_x86_64" "/home/iam/SyncSettings.ffs_batch"
BuTbka, 08 Feb 2019, 23:21