Can FFS recognize and sync hardlinks as hardlinks?

Get help for specific problems
tracync

Post by tracync • 12 Feb 2019, 03:06

I checked this old post and the ones linked to there, as well as a couple others that mention hardlinks, but their concerns seem more about softlinks...

viewtopic.php?t=4902

In this post the user mentions how hardlinked files will be synced to the new location as two copies of the same file.

Is there a way to get FFS to recognize and sync hardlinked files as hardlinked files?

bgstack15

Post by bgstack15 • 21 Feb 2019, 02:00

Hm, I'm no programmer, but it sounds that with some additional steps it could be done. I suspect that if a table were generated of all the inodes in the transaction, the program could check to see if any inode is repeated. Then, on the changed side, the files that match the duplicate-inode files could be the duplicate hardlinks. The functionality is not in the program that I'm aware of, but it sounds like a great question.

Outside of FreeFileSync, one could investigate solutions that reduce space used by doing a scan and hardlink replacement.

tracync

Post by tracync • 13 Mar 2019, 00:51

Yeah there are apps that save space that way. I use Duplicate Cleaner by DigitalVolcano, which is actually why I had this question. When I deduplicate a drive by introducing hardlinks, and then use FFS to back it up to another location, I'd like to have it actually mirrored by having hardlinks be hardlinks, thus saving the same amount of space at the destination. The way it is now, it appears that any time a hardlink is created, the same deduplication operation would have to be done twice...on the source and then at the destination.

bofh

Post by bofh • 14 Mar 2019, 06:31

since I also use hardlinks routinely, keeping them is very important for me.

Is there any alternative to FreeFileSync copying hardlinks?