Error sync with Google Drive

Get help for specific problems

ade74

Hi, if I use last version of FreeFileSync Donation Edition. I have a error when I synchronize file on Google Drive. If I run a batch process It function regularly. If I run a batch process automatically with Windows Server 2016 in a log file I show this error:

Errore: Impossibile accedere "g o o g l e a p i s . c o m".
CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 15 seconds [curl_easy_perform]

Plerry

Are you sure you are running the automatic/scheduled batch process under the same user-credentials as when "manually" running the batch process?
By default, scheduled tasks use the System user, which normally has no Google Drive.

ade74

User is Administrator.
Even if it returns the error in the log, then the copy on gdrive is done. My log:

[22:04:43] Errore: Impossibile accedere "g o o g l e a p i s . com".
CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 15 seconds [curl_easy_perform]
[22:34:18] Info: Confronto terminato: xxx elementi trovati
[22:34:25] Info: Sincronizzazione della coppia di cartelle: Specchio->
C:\xxx
gdrive:\xxx@xxx.it\01_lun\xxx
[22:34:25] Info: Aggiornamento file "gdrive:\xxx@xxx.it\01_lun\xxx\xxx.xxx"
[22:34:25] Info: Aggiornamento file "gdrive:\xxx@xxx.it\01_lun\xxx\xxx\xxx"
[22:34:25] Info: Creazione file "gdrive:\xxx@xxx.it\01_lun\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx"
[22:34:25] Info: Creazione cartella "xxx@xxx.it\01_lun\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx"
Site Admin

Zenju

My bet: This was a temporary error during comparison and you've set up "ignore errors". Therefore some folder(s) won't partake in sync, but the rest ran through fine.

The first error message isn't great, though. I'll see if I can return more context information, although the context is not relevant to the cause of the error.

ade74

Yes, I use "Ignore errors". Can it be a timeout problem for the FreeFileSync? In this case, can you enlarge timeout?
Site Admin

Zenju

I've added context info to all connection type errors. This should make it clear what logical operation at a file sync level was skipped when the lower-level errors occured:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/buyu5l6btq6tcbe/FreeFileSync_10.10_Windows_Setup.exe

ade74

Ok, I update you.

ade74

How do I solve? I try to delete the folder? Can you increase a time out?

[22:00:00] Info: Utilizzo delle impostazioni globali non predefinite:
Copia file bloccati - Abilitato
[22:01:17] Errore: Impossibile leggere la directory "gdrive:\xxxx@xxxx.it\04_gio\xxxx\xxxx\xxxx\xxx\xxxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\264".
Impossibile accedere "www.googleapis.com". CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 15 seconds [curl_easy_perform]
[22:01:54] Errore: Impossibile leggere la directory "gdrive:\xxxx@xxxx.it\04_gio\xxxx\xxxx\xxxx\xxx\xxxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\260".
Impossibile accedere "www.googleapis.com". CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 15 seconds [curl_easy_perform]
[22:02:25] Errore: Impossibile leggere la directory "gdrive:\xxxx@xxxx.it\04_gio\xxxx\xxxx\xxxx\xxx\xxxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\248".
[22:02:42] Errore: Impossibile leggere la directory "gdrive:\xxxx@xxxx.it\04_gio\xxxx\xxxx\xxxx\xxx\xxxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\237".
[22:02:57] Errore: Impossibile leggere la directory "gdrive:\xxxx@xxxx.it\04_gio\xxxx\xxxx\xxxx\xxx\xxxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\236".

ade74

Any idea? Can you increase a time out?
Site Admin

Zenju

Time out isn't the issue, but the transfer is stagnating. Maybe some AV (most likely) or other software on your system is blocking the internet access.

ade74

Ok, thanks

hardshadows

I have this same problem, same error...I'm not running a batch, I'm just doing a simple one-direction transfer to my g suite drive. My files are images, average size of 20-40 megs each...i can que up 600 files and they transfer without a problem, however as soon as it hits a file that is 100 megs or larger, it starts coughing up the error, "CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 15 seconds [curl_easy_perform". I do not have 'Ignore Errors' selected...as soon as I remove the larger file(s), it immediately starts blasting through the 20-40 meg files with zero-problems. I'm running 10.10 on Windows 10 pro 1903 preview release. Looking at my events logs I see not events that align with the 'problem', and it ONLY happens on the large files.

Thanks
'fear is the monster that destroys our dreams'

ade74

I could not solve the problem. I have no active antivirus except Windows Antivirus and server run backups at night so I do not have any other active connections.
In my opinion it is necessary to retry the operation when there is an error, for example for 3 or 5 times.
Site Admin

Zenju

@hardshadows:
Sounds like: viewtopic.php?t=6146&p=20212&#p20231

hardshadows

Happy Happy Joy Joy (me doing the happy dance)...Zenju, you are my hero!! Thank you for your time and effort...you made my day...my week, so much better. So here's the really simple thing that fixed it for me also;
>Windows Start Menu
>Settings
>Windows Security
>Virus & Threat Protection
>Virus & Threat Protection Settings >Manage Settings
>Exclusions
>+Add An Exclusion
>Process
>enter full path to FreeFileSync.exe (note: when you select 'process' the 'box' that opens which you put the path, including FreeFileSync.exe at the end of the path, the 'box' isn't like a normal 'file picker' window...it's just a goofy little box with no navigation type structure...just paste the full path into it and hit the 'add' button)

bam!!...like magic pixie-dust, it fixed my problem...FFS ran as smooth as butter-in-a-bottle on my large 100+ meg files. My guess is that MS anti-spy, anti-phish, anti-virus, anti-personal privacy, anti-whatever was choking on big files and just churning them. (a side note, i noticed someone said that it was 'weird' because even after they stopped FFS, their task manager continued to show heavy network sending traffic, as though the file was still 'sending'...i also saw that on my system, and in fact noticed that several of the large files that 'errored-out with the 'too slow' error, many of those files were in fact had uploaded in-tact to my google drive....damn if i know how they mysteriously continued to upload after I fully shut down FFS (meaning i checked task manager to see that FFS wasn't lurking in the background).

Anyway, thank you very much Zenju....March 11th will be the unofficial "Zenju Fixed My Problems" day.

~paul
Site Admin

Zenju

>+Add An Exclusion
>Process
>enter full path to FreeFileSync.exe (note: when you select 'process' the 'box' that opens which you put the path, including FreeFileSync.exe at the end of the path, the 'box' isn't like a normal 'file picker' window...it's just a goofy little box with no navigation type structure...just paste the full path into it and hit the 'add' button) hardshadows, 12 Mar 2019, 09:31
Excellent, if this is a recurring issue, it should be added to the FAQ. Does your Defender exclusion have to be of type "process", or does it also work when you select type "file" and navigate to "FreeFileSync.exe"?

hardshadows

>+Add An Exclusion
>Process
>enter full path to FreeFileSync.exe (note: when you select 'process' the 'box' that opens which you put the path, including FreeFileSync.exe at the end of the path, the 'box' isn't like a normal 'file picker' window...it's just a goofy little box with no navigation type structure...just paste the full path into it and hit the 'add' button) hardshadows, 12 Mar 2019, 09:31
Excellent, if this is a recurring issue, it should be added to the FAQ. Does your Defender exclusion have to be of type "process", or does it also work when you select type "file" and navigate to "FreeFileSync.exe"? Zenju, 12 Mar 2019, 14:15
I did not test the "file' exclusion option...my understanding of the 'file' exclusion is that it excludes a specific file(s)...my assumption is/was that while it excludes a 'file', I don't think it excludes the processes that the 'file' runs. I'm not sure that makes logical sense...I don't claim to be logical nor sensible :) As I'm sure you know, there are four exclusion 'category selection options'; 'File', 'Folder,' 'File Type', 'Process' (you must choose one)...I'm one of those guy's that if I get 'too far under the hood' I won't stop until it's broken. :)

ade74

I tried this solution in my case it didn't work but at the first attempt to copy it seems that the number of errors has decreased. Before changing the antivirus I had an average of 5 errors. Now 1 error.

hardshadows

I tried this solution in my case it didn't work but at the first attempt to copy it seems that the number of errors has decreased. Before changing the antivirus I had an average of 5 errors. Now 1 error. ade74, 14 Mar 2019, 08:01
Windows is like a box of chocolates....ya never know what yur gonna get when ya stick your hand in the box.

I have new new fix...no really, it works.

Ok, yes, I too sadly learned that what I thought was the 'fix' ended up really not 'fixing' the problem, it just sorta made the problem look smaller. As i explained, my photo image files that were 20-40 megs each processed with no problem (with no 'fix'), but when it hit my images that were 100-200 megs, that's when things got funky and the google-drive started telling me I was just too damn slow...so I got some hints from people way smarter than me and I goofed around and I excluded "FreeFileSync.exe" as a 'process', because when you exclude it as a process, then everything that FFS 'touches' (moves, changes, triggers, nudges, tickles, etc) all of those files and processes are excluded from being scanned for virus-like signs-symptoms...so, in theory i figured ok, big-files were causing big-scans.

Well, I got the smile slapped off of my face when I put on my big-boy pants and stacked up a bunch of files that were 2 - 4 gb each....when FFS grabbed those big juicy files, windows just looked at me and said, "Not tonight, I have a headache" and then rolled over and started snoring....in other words, windows wasn't going to let FFS play nice. I noticed that my 10 gigs of ram (yea i know it's a little small, but it's been enough to get the job done), normally with FFS running I'm using 3-4 gigs of ram for the whole system with FFS processing files...but those 2 gig files caused my ram to ramp up to 100% 10 gig usage in about 60 seconds.

Yea, I know, get the damn point!!! :)

...well it wasn't FFS that was pigg'n out at the all-you-can-eat ram-buffet. It was MpMsEngCP.exe ("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\MsMpEngCP.exe").

I'm a photographer because I'm not smart enough to be a software engineer, so my 'solution' is like my photography; 'just press the button and hang-on, one of the pictures will work'....in other words I didn't go through trying if-then scenarios to determine 'how'.

I excluded "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\MsMpEngCP.exe" as a PROCESS, and;
I excluded "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\MsMpEng.exe" as a PROCESS, and;
I excluded "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" as a PROCESS, and:
I excluded "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\Bin\FreeFileSync_x64.exe" as a PROCESS, and;
I excluded as a FOLDER my top-level folder that I keep my photos/videos in (the FOLDER exclusion includes all the sub-folders)

(note: while it was MsMpEngCP.exe that was chewing up the ram, I also excluded MsMpEng.exe because the they tend to hang-out in pairs, where one is the other is there also...the 'CP' version is the sandboxed version I believe, and thus probably why it eats more memory than it's skinny cousin who doesn't play in the sand)

Then I sat back and watched FFS toss those 2 - 4 gb files around like they were just 'no big deal', FFS didn't dip or dive or stutter....watching my ram meter was like watching a dead-guy's ekg screen....just a flat solid smooth line that held solid at 3 gb of ram for 4 hours, at which time FFS whistled at me telling me, "hey big-boy i'm finished, is that the best ya got because i can handle more"

Will it work for anyone else?....damn if I know
Did I do something stupid and now I'm going to infected with a deadly virus?...damn if I know
Did I get my huge files loaded onto my google g suite drive?...hell yea, after windows got out of FFS's way and let it do what it does...sync baby sync.

(one last-thing; these were not batch jobs, I just added them manually, in total about 5 different source-destination pairs...all 5 coming from different sub-folders of my main-folder on my local hdd and all 5 going to different sub-folders of my main-folder on my g suite google drive...the number of 2-4 gig files in each pair was between 5 -15 files in each pair, so I'm guessing about 40 files 2 -4 gb each file. I'm running FFS 10.10 single-thread because this was test I wanted to put it though (yes, I'm going to make the donation in a day or two), and I'm running windows 10 version 1903 on an old-slow box;

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version: 10.0.18342 N/A Build 18342
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire M3985
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3101 Mhz
BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. P01-A2, 5/7/2012
Total Physical Memory: 10,057 MB
Available Physical Memory: 6,382 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 11,593 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 7,787 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 3,806 MB
Hotfix(s): 2 Hotfix(s) Installed.
[01]: KB4491167
[02]: KB4491166
Last edited by hardshadows on 14 Mar 2019, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

ade74

Tu sei un fenomeno!
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll do a test.
Site Admin

Zenju

I excluded "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\MsMpEngCP.exe" as a PROCESS, and;
I excluded "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\MsMpEng.exe" as a PROCESS, and;
I excluded "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\Bin\FreeFileSync_x64.exe" as a PROCESS, and;
I excluded as a FOLDER my top-level folder that I keep my photos/videos in (the FOLDER exclusion includes all the sub-folders)
Alright, I don't understand a thing! :D
Why would you have a Windows Defender exclusion that excludes "MsMpEngCP.exe, MsMpEng.exe", in other words: itself? Are you sure that does something or is it just placebo? I can't imagine this having any effect.

The "FreeFileSync.exe" exclusion is the old one, right? The one I thought already fixed this issue? It didn't?
I'm not sure if excluding "FreeFileSync_x64.exe" is needed, but maybe it is. FreeFileSync.exe calls FreeFileSync_x64.exe, so if Defender excludes whole process hierarchies, then excluding "FreeFileSync.exe" should suffice. If it does not, then only excluding "FreeFileSync_x64.exe" is needed because this is the "real" thing.

ade74

I think isn't necessary to exclude "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\MsMpEngCP.exe".
I had already ruled out "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\Bin\FreeFileSync_x64.exe" but I had not thought about the folder to back up. I'll do a test.

FaidonKourounakis

Alright, I don't understand a thing! :D
Why would you have a Windows Defender exclusion that excludes "MsMpEngCP.exe, MsMpEng.exe", in other words: itself? Are you sure that does something or is it just placebo? I can't imagine this having any effect.

The "FreeFileSync.exe" exclusion is the old one, right? The one I thought already fixed this issue? It didn't?
I'm not sure if excluding "FreeFileSync_x64.exe" is needed, but maybe it is. FreeFileSync.exe calls FreeFileSync_x64.exe, so if Defender excludes whole process hierarchies, then excluding "FreeFileSync.exe" should suffice. If it does not, then only excluding "FreeFileSync_x64.exe" is needed because this is the "real" thing. Zenju, 15 Mar 2019, 14:56
Hello. Joining late. I have the same issue (with files of all sizes):

Same thing happening on my windows laptop (Lenovo y50-79) and on my new device with Linux mint 20.1 (Huawei Matebook D14)
(My goal is to synchronise 3 folders on the 2 laptops via Google Drive and they are in total ~2GB)

On windows: Transfer speed doesn't exceed the 100KB/s mark (pathetic) and on linux it doesn't exceed 0 (even worse).
Excluding FFS in windows defender doesn't help either...

Any idea @zenju?