FFS_GUI & FFS_BATCH File Locations

Get help for specific problems

chota300

Each time I create a new sync job, an new *FFS_GUI or *FFS_BATCH file is creaated in my Win 7 documents main folder. I would like to move these files into a dedicated FreeFileSync folder, and also set a default such that any new files of these type are created in that dedicated folder.
Is this possible? If so, how?
Thank you.

Radish

When you create a new configuration to get it saved to your preferred path use the "Save As..." buttons at the top of the Configuration Pane. (Two buttons there (1) Save as... (2) Save as batch job...) Using those buttons you can drill to the folder you want the file to be placed into. Once that is done FFS will remember that path for that file.

If you already have some configuration or batch job files saved in the location you don't want to use do the following:

(1) In the FFS Configuration Pane select the configuration files you want to move to your preferred location for them.

(2) With the files selected right-click on one of them and select "Hide configuration", alternatively just press the keyboard "Delete" key. The configurations will be removed from the Configuration Pane listing, however, the configuration files themselves will not be deleted from the disk drive.

(3) In Windows Explorer drill to the folder the configuration files are in (i.e. the folder you don't want to use) and move those configuration files to the folder you do want to use.

(4) In Explorer drill to the folder you do want to use (and which now holds the files you do want to use). Select all the configuration files you want to use and drag and drop them (you can do this as a multi-selected group) into the FFS Configuration Pane. FFS will now register those files as being in that location and will in future load them from there.

Thereafter, always use the "Save as" buttons when you want to save a configuration be that a new configuration or an old one that you have edited - in that way you will always be able to select the folder into which you want the new file to saved to and FFS will remember where that file is.

The above, from memory, is how I solved this problem with I first came across it. Above said there might be an easier way to deal with this. If there is maybe someone else could chip in with the different solution.

My own take-away from all of this was that it's best never to use the "Save" button, always "Save as..." And also that FFS would be improved if the way of managing configuration files was polished a bit more - as it stands it is a clunky part of FFS. At minimum there should be some way of the user specifying a default location to save new configuration files into.

chota300

Thank you so much for that accurate and thorough reply. I followed your steps and easily moved all of my ffs files to a separate folder. Maybe you could add this info into the standard help files.

I do have a few SyncSettings.ffs_gui files and a sync.ffs_db file left over. I kept them in place rather than create problems, but if they are temp/junk files, I would like to delete them.

Thanks again very much.

Radish

Thanks for the thanks, appreciated and my pleasure.
I do have a few SyncSettings.ffs_gui files and a sync.ffs_db file left over. I kept them in place rather than create problems, but if they are temp/junk files, I would like to delete them.chota300, 04 Mar 2019, 20:11
If you are sure that left over [WhateverName].ffs_gui files are configuration files that you no longer want to keep then it is safe to delete them from the HDD/SSD. If they were still in the Configuration Pane listing then the next time you launch FFS they will be gone from the listing.

Always remember that in the Configuration Pane listing if you select a configuration and choose to "Hide configuration" that the configuration is removed from the Configuration Pane listing but to remove the physical file itself you need to go to the location where it is stored and delete it manually.

As to if it is safe to delete the sync.ffs_db file I can't hand-on-heart give a definite answer. I have in the past deleted such files myself and nothing untoward happened as a result. But I'm think that you might be better starting another thread and asking that question as a separate issue. I did find these threads with some comment on doing this but those are very old threads and things may have changed since then:

viewtopic.php?t=901&p=3780&hilit=delete+sync.ffs_db#p3780
viewtopic.php?t=803&p=3246&hilit=delete+sync.ffs_db#p3246

Note that the above threads refer to variant "automatic". I have a suspicion that was maybe an old title for what is now known as variant "Two-Way" -- but I am just guessing this.

General information on the sync.fss_db files can be seen here: Synchronization Settings I would think that manual page could be improved by providing information on deleting sync.fss_db files if so desired.