EXT4 to NTFS

Get help for specific problems

Lady Fitzgerald

Can FFS on a Linux machine copy files from an EXT4 drive to an NTFS drive, such as when using mirror copy or two way copy? Would the same apply when using the Linux machine to move files from an NTFS drive to an EXT4 drive?

Lady Fitzgerald

Anyone?

Lady Fitzgerald

Oh, come on! Surely someone can answer this (pretty please?).

bgstack15

If you can mount the NFTS volume to your Linux system, then yes. I haven't tried it myself, but a filesystem is just a filesystem, right?

What happens when you mount the ntfs filesystem and try it?

Lady Fitzgerald

Thanks for answering!

I haven't installed Linux on anything yet so I can't try it yet (not to mention I don't know squat about Linux yet). I'm trying to anticipate and deal with possible problems ahead of time to make the transition as smooth as possible. I'm going to start with Linux (Zorin or Mint Cinnamon) on one of my notebooks for learning and eventually install it on my other machines, including my big desktop machine. During the transition, it would be highly desirable to be able to copy data from one OS to another for backup, etc.

Once I do the transition, I will still have to have Win 7 in a VM for the the handful of programs I need for which are incompatible with Wine and have no Linux equivalent so compatibility between the two will be highly desirable.