10.9 will not run on Linux Mint LMDE2

Get help for specific problems

freefilesync2212

Hello,

I've just downloaded the 10.9 linux version to upgrade a much earlier version which was running albeit with some minor issues.

When I attempt to run FreeFileSync from the directory into which I unpacked the tar file, I get the following error:
*** Error in `./Bin/FreeFileSync_x86_64': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007f856c92ff00 ***
Aborted
I am running Linux Distro Mint LMDE2 (Debian based), output from the uname - a command is:
3.16.0-7-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.59-1 (2018-10-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,
M
Site Admin

Zenju

If it's reproducible, we could try to have the system create a crash dump: viewtopic.php?t=6071

freefilesync2212

Hello,

I've created the crashdump file and emailed it to you...

BTW, I am getting a completely different error with 10.9 beta which you directed to use for the crashdump... The message now is:
FreeFileSync_x86_64: ui/app_icon.h:22: wxIcon fff::getFfsIcon(): Assertion `getResourceImage(L"FreeFileSync").GetWidth () == getResourceImage(L"FreeFileSync").GetHeight() && getResourceImage(L"FreeFileSync").GetWidth() % 128 == 0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
Cheers.
Site Admin

Zenju

This is likely an unrelated crash caused by the assert. Is "FreeFileSync.png" available in Resources.zip, and accessible via the expected folder structure?

bgstack15

Not sure about this, but the size 0 icon problem sounds like the problem I had where the binary cannot find the Resources.zip file. This zip file contains a lot of the graphics artifacts used by the application. I cannot quite remember how the directory structure is laid out in the precompiled binary release, but chances are you've moved the binary and it needs to be in a specific spot relative to the Resources.zip.

freefilesync2212

The "FreeFileSync_x8 CrashDump 1552256285.dmp.zip" (referred to in the linked post) was unpacked into a directory named "FreeFileSync 10.9". Nothing was moved, added or taken away. The Resources.zip file is present in the same folder the ZIP unpack put it (see above), it's integrity is ok and appears to contain FreeFileSync.png.

freefilesync2212

Any further progress on this issue?...

freefilesync2212

So... the problem is still present in 10.10!!! ... and useful feedback from Zenju (the developer I assume) has been very non-existent... So this otherwise excellent product is no longer running on a number of Linux distros... as such the implication on the website that Linux is supported is simply not valid!...

People should be forewarned that they are wasting their time both with expecting a successful install as well as interacting on this forum. I will now move along and look for another tool and stop wasting valuable bandwidth on FreeFileSync.

Good day.
Site Admin

Zenju

Either that, or you could give it another shot with the following FFS 10.11 debug version.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ron5gfe9wxush09/FreeFileSync_10.11_debug_Linux.tar.gz
Analyzing remote crashes on Linux is painful, for both of us, unfortunately this is the reality we've got deal with. It will require lots of back and forth and also testing on your side. We can embrace the pain, or run from it. FFS always embraces the pain, BTW ;)

freefilesync2212

Well ... I think you are being dis-ingenious (at best) when you suggest that I am "running away" from the implied hard work inherent with the Linux environment. If it comforts you, you may wish to know that I've been developing software for Linux long enough to have some idea of what is involved in debugging... at any rate, when more than a week passes between a report and my followup my (as the silence is deafening from your end), perhaps the issue is not my courage, or lack thereof... let's just say perhaps less than timely communication (when a simple wait out would have done) on your end and leave it at that...

Assuming that we are done comparing you know what... here are the results of the second run:

1. I have sent you the new crashdump file via email as requested... however
2. I am still getting a resource related issue which seems unrelated to the original problem, the error this time is:
FreeFileSync_x86_64: ui/app_icon.h:22: wxIcon fff::getFfsIcon(): Assertion `getResourceImage(L"FreeFileSync").GetWidth () == getResourceImage(L"FreeFileSync").GetHeight() && getResourceImage(L"FreeFileSync").GetWidth() == 128' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
Note that other than unpacking the tar file to the home directory, no files were moved, or messed with in any way! The contents of the directory are shown in the attached image.
Screenshot from 2019-03-21 17-13-23.png
Screenshot from 2019-03-21 17-13-23.png (62.87 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Hopefully it won't take another week to move this forward...
Site Admin

Zenju

I've made a few tests and am able to reproduce the crash on LMDE2 (both mate and cinnamon). However FreeFileSync runs fine in LMDE3. It seems most likely that the crash is not caused by a bug, but rather incompatible binaries. Considering that LMDE2 went out of support on January 2019, it's probably not worth to analyze this further, or to find a solution (which might require an additional compilation for LMDE2).