CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEOUT and number of files discrepancy through FTP remote sync

Get help for specific problems

gkscorpio

I've set up FTP remote access to my Synology NAS (DS115j) and I'm trying to sync large folders with work files. I've run into a couple of issues.

1. The first is not THAT important, just a bit strange. When comparing folder from a remote PC to a folder inside the NAS I'm experiencing strange discrepancies in the number of "items" FFS is discovering. For a specific folder which consists of 24827 files and 1508 folders as I'm seeing inside Windows FFS has discovered 234927 "items". I'm curious exactly what does that mean. I would understand if there were twice the items (one for each side), but this is far from that.

2. That's the important issue. While comparing the 2 folders after a while the comparison seems to "clog", it slows down A LOT and quite often I get this error:
ftpsyncerror-hide.jpg
ftpsyncerror-hide.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 406 times
I hit retry and the process continues, but this can happen many times during a single compare process. Any idea why this is happening? I must say that the folders I'm comparing have as lot of metadata files (~0kb) if that makes any sense.

I don't see any excessive CPU of RAM usage on the NAS side, is there any setting I could tweak on FFS, the NAS or even the router?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I'm experiencing this kind of issues only with folder that contain many files, smaller folders compare just fine. Also, this error pops up only during the comparison, not during the actual file transfer.
Site Admin

Zenju

When comparing folder from a remote PC to a folder inside the NAS I'm experiencing strange discrepancies in the number of "items" FFS is discovering. gkscorpio, 15 Mar 2019, 17:58
This FAQ item lists all currently known reasons for discrepancies: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#explorer-mismatch
PS. I'm experiencing this kind of issues only with folder that contain many files, smaller folders compare just fine. gkscorpio, 15 Mar 2019, 17:58
Reading a folder's content is done via a single FTP access, so it would make sense that the data amout is larger when a folder contains a lot of items, thous the transfer takes longer. In this case increasing the default time out to a larger number than 15 sec should do the job.