To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is considered by only one base folder.

Get help for specific problems

Darkyere

I am completly new to FreeFileSync.
I decided to see if it was better than Synkron.

But im stuck at an error i simply cant understand.

What im trying to do is synchronize 6 identical folders that needs to look alike.
That means 6 Drives on 6 different computers that i need to synchonize.
There is a chance that they might have files added/updated at different times.
So i need to make synchonization where all changes are taken into account.

I havent understood how to do that yet. So far it has worked with synkron but im new to FFS.

So what i have tried to do is to make it like this
    Source                          Destination
H:\Syncthing\Programmer     /IdenticalFolderOnOtherDrive2
H:\Syncthing\Programmer     /IdenticalFolderOnOtherDrive3
H:\Syncthing\Programmer     /IdenticalFolderOnOtherDrive4
H:\Syncthing\Programmer     /IdenticalFolderOnOtherDrive5
H:\Syncthing\Programmer     /IdenticalFolderOnOtherDrive6
But when i try to sync it throws the error
Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple base folders.
To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is considered by only one base folder.

H:\Syncthing\Programmer
What would be the correct way to compare and sync 6 identical folders with possible added/updated files/folders on each of them.

Ty and best regards,
Darkyere

Plerry

The warning is correct; there is an overlap between the folder pairs:
all pairs include H:\Syncthing\Programmer.
But, as depicted here, there is no danger e.g. in terms of double file names.

You describe your folder pairs as Source vs. Destination, which suggests a source-to-destination Mirror (or Update) sync variant. If that is the case, there is no problem at all, and you can conveniently ignore the warning and run your FFS sync.

However, your "... with possible added/updated files/folders on each of them" suggests changes may originate in the "Destination" locations also (or perhaps even: only). In that case you would need to use the Two-ways sync variant. That is still safe to run, but …
The Compare phase compares the left and right locations in their pre-sync state. Any changes that are to be synced from a right ("Destination") location to H:\Syncthing\Programmer are not considered in the comparison for the other left-right pairs, as such change will only exist post-sync. So, changes that need to propagate e.g. from OtherDrive2 to OtherDrive3 require a second Compare and Sync after the first sync.
If it is objectional to do so manually, you may use a *.bat, *.cmd or any other suitable script to sequentially launch FFS to run the same sync twice.

Darkyere

Ty alot for the answer i have been thinking about it and i it seems like its going to be easier for me to use Synkon still.

There i can set all 6 folders as master so changes are compared between all folders at once.

And its easier to spot changes since i dont have to compare 5 different list's of files but can see it placed in one line pr. file/folder.

It's to bad actually FFS seems so much smarter than Synkron but just not for my case.

Ty and best regards,
Darkyere
Site Admin

Zenju

Seems like you're using "Two Way" instead of the "Mirror" sync variant. With "Mirror" there is no conflict and consequently no warning.

Darkyere

Okay ty.
The next time i run a backup i will try ffs again and set it to mirror this time.