FTPS error CURLE_PARTIAL_FILE and Google error CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT

Get help for specific problems

lwinkler

Hi,

I'm new to FFS and fine with on-computer-sync between HDD, USB and network shares.

But I get errors when trying to mirror from FTP(S) and from GoogleDrive with FFS 10.10 and 10.11. I've also tried the donation version 10.11 with parallel tasks.
The other direction ergo mirroring to FTP(S) or to GoogleDrive works fine with same files.

With FTP(S) I get the following error:
CURLE_PARTIAL_FILE: transfer closed with 384738396 bytes remaining to read
                     150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for filename.ext (504816732 bytes) [curl_easy_perform]
With GoogleDrive I get this error:
CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 15 seconds [curl_easy_perform]
It seems the error comes up with big files.

I'm using Win 10 #1809 64-bit, no additional AV or firewall software. My FTP server is a hosted one.

Does anyone have similar issues or hints how to resolve them?

Regards
Lars
Site Admin

Zenju

lwinkler

Thanks for quick reply. I've added proces exclusions to Windows Defender. Added main FreeFileSync.exe and all under Bin\ directory.

This seems to fix the issue.

I've got fewer errors as before and clicking "retry" helps.

Is it possible to implement the Microsoft Defender exclusions into the installer?

Regards Lars
Site Admin

Zenju

Perfect, and you're right: This should be included into the installation routine, if possible. In this regard, can you do a quick test: Remove all your current Defender exclusions related to FreeFileSync and replace them by a single folder exclusion of FreeFileSync's Bin subdirectory, and tell me if this is enough to fix the CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT problems.
Site Admin

Zenju

After reading more of the docs, it seems we most likely need a process exclusion, not a folder exclusion. I've included this into the beta-version installer below. Can you manually remove your Defender exclusions, then install the beta and see if this properly adds the exclusions and fixes CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/87ygzrrtj283d8e/FreeFileSync_10.12_%5BBeta%5D_Windows_Setup.exe

lwinkler

Dear Zenju,

I've tested the 10.12 Beta Version with deleting hand made entries in Windows Defender exclusions, as described by you.

After installing Beta a new process exclusion entry popped up in Defender with the Bin\ sub dir. So the new installer does this perfectly.

Testing Beta with FTP(S) several times, there are fewer errors. Most of them can be solved manually by clicking retry or automatically by setting automatic retry to 3 times w/ 3 sec wait time. So I can say this CURLE_PARTIAL_FILE error on FTP(S) is solved.

Testing this Beta with Google Drive does not solve the CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT errors. Even when automatically retries are enabled. I've also tried to completely disable Windows Defender during tests.

Do you have any ideas more?

lwinkler

Dear Zenju,

I've testet version 10.13 again with Google Drive sync an still got these CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT errors.

Are you interested in pursuing the problem further? If so, I would send you the .ffs_* files and the Google Auth token.

Lars
Site Admin

Zenju

The timeout for Google Drive is currently hard-coded to 15 seconds. Do your individual file accesses take longer than 15 seconds?

arsancube

Could the hard-coded 15 sec could be not a hard-coded? The upload speed something drops to zero and fails accidentally.
Site Admin

Zenju

Could the hard-coded 15 sec could be not a hard-coded? The upload speed something drops to zero and fails accidentally. arsancube, 03 Feb 2020, 10:56
Sounds more like an issue with AV (e.g. Windows Defender): viewtopic.php?t=6139

arsancube

Thz. Let me check.

TommyTheTinkerer

Hello Friends,
I am having this problem too. And it appears that sometimes (in my case) it contributes to duplicate file problems in GDrive... I think... haven't quite worked out how to prove/test.
Regarding Windows Defender... So far it is showing Inbound exclusion for "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\Bin\FreeFileSync_x64.exe" but nothing Outbound. ... thats as much as i know about that stuff...
Any links to instructions on creating these folder or process exclusions?