[Feature Request] Relative Versioning Folders

Discuss new features and functions

johnmiller

Hi,
The idea is to create Revisions folder for each changed file in the same directory as the file.
The Revisions folders could follow a naming pattern e.g. <file name> - Revisions, updated to match latest file name if also changed.
This would make it easy to see which files have been changed and access the file versions.
What do you think?

Plerry

What is wrong with the present approach?
Your synced locations always contain the most recent version of your files,
and (depending on your settings) all previous versions or the most recent version(s) can be found in the Versioning location, in the same folder structure as in your synced locations.

As per your proposal, assuming we start with a synced status between location A and location B (and their subfolders), if you modify a file in location A and then run an FFS sync between A and B, location B would contain your previous version, but not location A. So, your previous versions would be scattered between A and B, and can only be found in the location where the file was not modified. Sounds pretty illogical to me ...

johnmiller

This would make sense in the update/backup scenario.
Especially when dealing with complex subfolder structure.
The point is to easily see which files have any previous versions and to simplify access to those versions. You could just browse location B without constantly navigating between location's B subfolders and relevant Versioning subfolders.

e.g.

Browsing Backup -> Documents -> Photos -> Travels -> Italy -> Year -> Month -> Rome -> Tour06-07.ppt - Open: has 15 slides - Is something missing? I think there were more. Let's see: Go to Revisions -> Documents -> Photos -> Travels -> Italy -> Year -> Month -> Rome -> No versions for Tour06-07.ppt, must have been the Venice trip that I took 20 pics.

--vs--

Browsing Backup -> Documents -> Photos -> Travels -> Italy -> Year -> Month -> Rome -> No revisions for Tour06-07.ppt, nothing is missing.

johnmiller

So... still makes no sense? I thought I answered your concerns, and clarified that previous versions would not be scattered between A and B. They would all be in B. Really can't see what's illogical here.

Plerry

Your initial posting did not mention your specific use case, but if you only modify files in one location (e.g. location A), and sync those to a location B (e.g. your BrowsingBackup location) your proposed approach makes some sense.

My reaction was based on the more generic case in which files may be modified both in location A and location B.
Then your proposed approach would leave previous versions scattered between location A and B, depending on where the file was modified. And that (at least to me) does not make sense.

I guess FFS aims to serve all intended use cases, including bi-directional syncs, in one common approach.
So I suppose that's why Zenju has chosen the present way of implementing Versioning.

leuveg

hello,

i also need a simpler file versioning modus.
like this: viewtopic.php?t=6434
i do not work with high complex projekt folder structure. i most edit one dokument and i would like to have a 'backup' in my backup folder.
o well , my english is so bad, i hope you understand...