FreeFileSync in NPO

Get help for specific problems

timing

hello Forummaster

We are a nonprofit organization (University) and would like to use FreeFileSync for about 200 clients. We work with SCCM and App-V. Can you please inform me, how to corretly buy licences and if we can deploy FFS with SCCM/App-V.

Thank you
Hubert

timpi

Hi!

We have exactly the same question: how should we setup FreeFileSync for users in our organisation with virtualised applications (App-V Application Virtualization)? Is it sufficient to pay for a donation edition? And if yes, for how many users (we don't know the number of actual users beforehand)?

thanks,
tim

xCSxXenon

Check here: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#donation-edition
You may not need the donation edition at all. There is no permanently licensed version though

timpi

Thank xCSxXenon, I also had the understanding that we didn't need the donation edition, but since we didn't manage to get it working I'd like to come back to this one.

We are a government organisation and in principle each user would only use it for his/her own computer (so one installation per user). The issue is that our IT team is using the "App-V" package to manage/distribute all software locally on our machines. This means in practice that the software is once installed on a "reference machine" and then apparently copy-pasted to the user machines. When this is done for FreeFileSync, this resulted in the error that the "installation files are corrupted" and that the "installation was registered on a different operating system".
So do you think there's a way around this? Would a portable installation in App-V solve the problem of this "different operating system"?

All hints are welcome...
best regards,
tim

xCSxXenon

You are correct. A distribution of a single install is going to give that problem. The portable solution would work, but then you need to donate ~$660 USD to get an allowance of 200 devices.