NTFS to RAW after sync ffs

Get help for specific problems

skyter

Sometimes synchronization stops. And the ntfs disk (gpt) becomes RAW format.
I think that the problem is in the ffs program.

xCSxXenon

I have only seen that issue on drives or storage mediums that are failing. Run Gsmart on the disk to see the SMART data. There shouldn't be any reallocated or uncorrectable sectors. I'm guessing it goes corrupt once data started being written to a certain physical sector on the drive.

skyter

HDD (WD GOLD 4TB). Worked for 6 months. SMART is fine.

xCSxXenon

That's interesting. FFS wouldn't be able to corrupt a partition like that. I would try swapping SATA data cables and try a different SATA port on the motherboard. It may be losing connection during transfer, which would corrupt the partition. You may run an extended surface test using gsmart, this will take a long time.

boudewijn21

I have used FFS twice and have unfortunately had an error twice, in both cases turning my external hard drive from ntfs to RAW. Quite a scare.

What helped for me was opening cmd and then entering:
chkdsk f:
(with f: the drive of interest).
If you do
chkdsk f: /f /r
or something similar, you will get a message saying that the disk is RAW and cannot be handled by chkdsk. This apparently has something do with only using read-mode when you don't add parameters. After the disk is ntfs through the first line, then you can use the second line without problem. If you use the second line first, you may have to remount your hard drive before you can use the first line successfully.