Window smb > NAS which need credentials

Get help for specific problems
Louiscar

Post by Louiscar • 13 Aug 2019, 02:40

Hi I have just donated to this and it's an ideal program for me to replace Speedcommander which is not so automated or full featured for syncing as this.

I have a small problem though in that I do not save my credentials for my NAS drive. Therefore they have to be typed in to access the folders via SMB.

Speedcommander didn't have a problem with this, as soon as I attempted to access the NAS the credential popup would appear.

With Freefilesync unfortunately it just tells me that it can't find the folder / location. The only way I am able to get the backup done is if I browse the destination, find the folder / location and attempt to open it, then I will get the popup and FFS can do the backup/s after that till the next reboot or reset the connection.

For reasons I will not go into here I do not want to save credentials in Windows so it would be good if you could see if you can get the same behavior as Speedcommander in forcing the popup to come up without having to go through the hoops.

Unfortunately one thought, to access the NAS via windows explorer and signin to any folder doesn't work, and I did notice this is the same with SC - if I've signed in via Windows Explorer , I still have to sign in again via that.

Other than this the program is simply amazing and just what I've needed for years and didn't realise existed so thanks Zenju.

AlexD

Post by AlexD • 15 Aug 2019, 12:50

I do the same thing with our File Server which is Server 2016, I am using a Synology NAS which is compatible with Windows Domain Services. I only had to Navigate to the NAS via explorer once and then typed in the correct Credentials to gain access. After this Windows Automatically remembers credentials.

After this i just setup a Batch sync that is triggered via Windows Task Scheduler.

Zenju
Site Admin

Post by Zenju • Yesterday, 18:33

What error message do you get (including error code)? FreeFileSync should prompt for credentials, too, if needed!

Louiscar

Post by Louiscar • Today, 02:56

Zenju wrote:
Yesterday, 18:33
What error message do you get (including error code)? FreeFileSync should prompt for credentials, too, if needed!
Thanks for getting back to me:

This is the complete error:

Code: Select all

Cannot find the following folders:

\\Nas253\wd_4tb\!!Photos

Cannot read file attributes of "\\Nas253\wd_4tb".
Error Code 67: The network name cannot be found. [FindFirstFile]
@AlexD Unfortunately as I mentioned, in my case (Windows 7), Speedcommander or FFS can only access the NAS if it signed in via it's shell. I don't quite understand why frankly as after I enter my credentials via Windows explorer I did expect it would be fine. It seems that windows differentiates between shell instances, maybe there is a policy somewhere that allows a single credential to be globally valid.

Either way Accessing via Speedcommander will request credentials and FFS will give me the above message.