10 Macs, each syncing to NAS

Discuss new features and functions

kyle03674

Before I try FreeFileSync yet, I'd like to know more about how to support my scenario. I'm looking for a fast and local solution instead of a slower cloud-based solution.

My team of designers all have Macs running macOS 10.14. I want a set folders containing subfolders and PowerPoint files to be updated across all 10 Macs and our NAS. The PowerPoint files can be as large as 700 MB to 1.25 GB and are updated very frequently. Each designer has a folder, and they're the only ones that edit the files in that folder. (We use PowerPoint's "Always Open Read Only" feature to reduce accidental overwrites)

I'm guessing we would need to setup two-way sync on each Mac, between that Mac and the NAS? Would that even work?

I've used rsync in the past; would I need to use commands, or is the Mac interface fairly easy for anyone to use? Once set up, would the sync software require any user involvement? My desire is to set it, test it, and then let it run for weeks and weeks at a time.

Plerry

I have no experience on Macs. However:
A Two-way sync should do the job, provided the "Always Open Read Only" feature does use some form of file-locking.

But as "each designer has a folder, and they're the only ones that edit the files in that folder" that may not even be necessary. Assuming each designer has his/her own Mac, if designers only create or modify files in their local own folder on their Mac, the sync directions are clear up front:
Their local own folder needs to sync from their Mac to the corresponding folder on the NAS; each own folder on the NAS of all other designers need to sync from the NAS to the Mac of the designer.
Then you do not need Two-way syncs and there is no need to use the "Always Open Read Only" feature.

kyle03674

Thanks Plerry for responding.
Each designer needs the folder of every other designer's work.

Does anyone have experience doing this *with Macs*?

Plerry

Each designer needs the folder of every other designer's work.kyle03674, 19 Aug 2019, 20:25
"Having" the folders is not so much the issue, but rather if they only need
to be able to read files in those "other" folders (which only requires one-way
syncs, as I assumed in my earlier reply),
or if they also need to be able to modify files in those "other" folders that
then need to be synced back to the NAS and ultimately to all other MACs
(in which case you need Two-way syncs).
Your remark about "Always Open Read Only" suggested the latter is not the case.

kyle03674

Ahh, yes, the "other" folders can be one-way sync from NAS to local computer. That makes sense now. Thanks for explaining.
I see I only need Two-way sync for the one folder that each designer would modify - so that if edits to files in that folder were made to the local copy OR to the NAS copy, both copies would be updated.

Plerry

I see I only need Two-way sync for the one folder that each designer would modify - so that if edits to files in that folder were made to the local copy OR to the NAS copy, both copies would be updated.
True if such is actually the case.
It would be even simpler if each designer only makes changes in his/her local "own" folder.
Then for that "own" folder the sync direction is also only one-way (Mac-to-NAS), where for all folders of other designers the sync direction is also one-way (NAS-to-Mac).
That was my assumption in my original reply.