RTS Command Line Error

Get help for specific problems

greyhald

I'm fairly new to Linux so forgive my ignorance and please bear it in mind if you respond. I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2.

I have several sync configurations that work fine in FFS, but when I generate a batch file and use RTS I always get the error "Incorrect command line" followed by two strings in quotes the fist of which is I assume is the the command used to run FFS; the second is the path to the batch file.

The path to the batch file is correct. However, what I assume is the command to start FFS "/app/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync" is, I think, incorrect.

I have tried using search for "FreeFileSync" in the file manager and get a few results. If I double click on the ones with the FFS icon they generally open, but if I try to use the that path in the batch file is still gives a similar error.

Can anyone please explain how I can fix this problem?

Thanks

Greyhald

Trevor

I am in an identical situation here. LMC 19.2 and RTS. I made the sync entry. Tested it. Saved it as a batch. Pointed the RTS config at the batch and get (incorrect command line:"/app/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync" "/home/trevor/Test.ffs_batch").

Any pointers would be most appreciated
Screenshot from 2019-09-28 13-45-35.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-28 13-45-35.png (11.63 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

Plerry

Simply follow the manual page on RTS.
A noticeable difference between both above cases and the manual page is that in above cases the path to FreeFileSync is relative (to what?) instead of absolute, and that the ".exe" extension is missing.
In the second case, also the path tot the *.ffs_batch file is relative (again: to what?) instead of absolute.

Trevor

Hi Plerry. Sorry but we are both asking the question for Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2 where we don't have .exe executables and we simply drag and drop the ffs_batch to RTS and the prog builds the command line for us then complains it is incorrect when we try and run it :-)

greyhald

The command line is constructed by the system that creates the batch file. It appears to be editable but any changes do not stick.

I can find an absolute path that will instantiate FFS from a console, but if I put it in the command line in RTS it still doesn't work.

Can any Linux experts please help us with this?
Site Admin

Zenju

The command line is constructed by the system that creates the batch file. It appears to be editable but any changes do not stick. greyhald, 30 Sep 2019, 20:08
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=realtimesync

I can find an absolute path that will instantiate FFS from a console, greyhald, 30 Sep 2019, 20:08
What is the correct FFS process path that should appear instead of "/app/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync"?

Trevor

Hi Zenju. Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the manual does not seem to have any examples of Linux.

The problem is you drag and drop the ffs_batch file just like in Windows and the command line is self constructed but fails to run.
"/app/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync" "/home/trevor/Test.ffs_batch"
Since RTS builds it and any edit does not seem to stick (greyhald above), we are at a loss how to proceed.

BTW I have been a long term registered User of FFS in Windows for a very long time and it is excellent :-)
Site Admin

Zenju

Hi Zenju. Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the manual does not seem to have any examples of Linux. Trevor, 01 Oct 2019, 09:30
The link is supposed to (hopefully) explain the difference between passing a ffs_batch and a ffs_real file.
The problem is you drag and drop the ffs_batch file just like in Windows and the command line is self constructed but fails to run. Trevor, 01 Oct 2019, 09:30
Yes, but currently it's not clear what the problem is. Is it that the "/app/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync" is wrong, and a different path should be used (in which case: which path?), or is the path correct, but execution does not work for whatever reason (=> test manually via command line).

Trevor

What path does the FFS installation routine for Linux Mint install in? This is the real question I think as the ffs_batch is easily located. The installation is what is hidden.....

greyhald

Thanks for jumping in to try and help us Zenju, but as Trevor said, there is very little in the manual that applies to the Linux version. As you said:
Yes, but currently it's not clear what the problem is. Is it that the "/app/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync" is wrong, and a different path should be used (in which case: which path?), or is the path correct, but execution does not work for whatever reason (=> test manually via command line).
we don't understand what the problem is.

In the console I cannot open FFS using the path quoted, even making it into an absolute path. However, I can find a path to open it (FFS), but cannot change the preordained statement in RTS to use it. In any case, while running it from the console I can start FFS but I can not find a way to pass the parameters for the batch file.

Even looking at the batch file, non of the relevant information is there to be edited, I can only guess it is baked into the RTS or FFS software.

My understanding of the problem is that the executable is not where the batch file creator thinks it is, but what do I know :-).

Trevor

Learning as we go

I am not a Linux expert but I am having to learn new things. So be it.

The RTS command line runs the Program FreeFileSync and passes the parameters of the fff_batch file to be run.

I have a batch that syncs the Linux "documents" with a uSD that contains the Laptop "documents" and a HDD that contains the Windows "documents" such that when I insert the uSD off it goes. Or thats the idea.

With no knowledge of where stuff is I decided to find the program that is run when you click on FreeFileSync and since I installed FFS via the Software Manager I have no idea where it went. It is NOT where RTS thinks it is when you import the ffs_batch so a little hunting.... For reference RTS thinks FFS is in "/app/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync" since thats what it auto-builds when you import the ffs_batch. There is no /app directory in the root or home/username directories.

It does seem that FFS is installed using Flatpak and the run command for the desktop icon goes to /usr/bin/flatpak and runs a command there so it may be the reason RTS will not execute correctly. Its running through flatpak.....

Any ideas?

Trevor

Hunting the FFS prog leads me closer with

/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.freefilesync.FreeFileSync/x86_64/stable

Its the only thing in /flatpak/app
Site Admin

Zenju

What path does the FFS installation routine for Linux Mint install in? This is the real question I think as the ffs_batch is easily located. The installation is what is hidden..... Trevor, 01 Oct 2019, 19:06
Ah, so you're not using the official Linux build from freefilesync.org, right? So these support questions should go to whoever is maintaining your flatpak package.

Trevor

I have no idea. I am using the build in the Linux Mint Software Manager which I kind of thought would be the official approved version....

Trevor

Screenshot from 2019-10-02 12-49-51.png
Screenshot from 2019-10-02 12-49-51.png (128.54 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

Trevor

How do I install the "official build version" for Linux? Its a .tar.gz file which is beyond my experience yet... (I think I might be learning though)

Trevor

Learning learning....

Greyhald

I uninstalled FFS from the Software Manager and downloaded the latest Linux release from FFS website. That comes in as FreeFileSync_10.16_Linux.tar.gz

I extracted this to my /Downloads directory and you get a sub-folder called FreeFileSync with stuff under it therein.

/home/trevor/Downloads/FreeFileSync

Open that and you see a Bin folder

/home/trevor/Downloads/FreeFileSync/Bin

In there are 4 progs - FFS and RTS in both i686 and x86_64 form. I am using 64 bit Mint 19.2 so I double click on the
FreeFileSync_x86_64 it runs FFS and similarly if I double click on the RealTimeSync_x86_64 it runs RTS.

So I run RTS. File/Open my ffs_batch and low and behold a working Command Line !!!!
"/home/trevor/Downloads/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync" "/home/trevor/Test.ffs_batch"

All-in-all a bit of lack of documentation with the Linux build but then not too surprising.

I am using Mint 19.2 because I got fed up with Windows 10 patronising me and trashing my installation. And also the lack of support for Desktops in Windows trying to make one-solution-fits-nothing. I dont want a mobile experience on my desktop !!!

Trevor

Greyhald

CTRL-SHIFT drag the FFS and RTS progs to the desktop (one at a time) to make a shortcut and then right click the default icon and Properties and then click the icon to change it. Proper icons are provided in

/home/trevor/Downloads/FreeFileSync/Resources

greyhald

Hello Trevor thanks for your investigations, I may give it a try. One thing to be aware of is that an installation done that way will not be part of the automatic upgrade process, you will need to keep an eye open for updates and manually install them.

I did some work with Linux a long time ago and, I admit things may have changed, I seem to remember the install process used to scatter files all over the place, /etc, /bin, /lib and so on. If a program shares files with other programs, say in /lib (library files) then there could be conflicts when the Mint updater changes some of them because it doesn't know about your 'off the record' installation still needing them. That is one of the purposes of the updater - to keep track of dependencies between different programs.

I believe there may be a way to download the tar file and get the installer to install it but don't remember much - I will investigate.

If there are any Linux experts reading this that can help I would be much obliged.

I will let you know if I discover anything.

Trevor

I agree that the FreeFileSync approach to installation on Linux means that the modern update managers dont get to control the releases and I have no idea who manages the Flatpak distribution in the Software Manager in Mint 19.2 but it is already a .1 version behind.

Perhaps FreeFileSync might like to address some of these issues as more of us turn to Linux to do desktop work. Certainly I have discovered a Tray Icon intermittent fault with RTS and it would be nice to have a Linux guru on here

Meanwhile I have RTS working in the background and every time I save my DOC or XLS it flashes away and syncs the laptop SD card so I am a happy bunny

greyhald

Hello Trevor

Did you uninstall the flatpack before you installed the standalone version?

Trevor

Yes. Indeed but it left traces. Nothing executable or usable to the new installation but just messy.

greyhald

Hello Trevor,

Used your method, all seems to be working now - thanks

byroniac

Hello Trevor thanks for your investigations, I may give it a try. One thing to be aware of is that an installation done that way will not be part of the automatic upgrade process, you will need to keep an eye open for updates and manually install them.

I did some work with Linux a long time ago and, I admit things may have changed, I seem to remember the install process used to scatter files all over the place, /etc, /bin, /lib and so on. If a program shares files with other programs, say in /lib (library files) then there could be conflicts when the Mint updater changes some of them because it doesn't know about your 'off the record' installation still needing them. That is one of the purposes of the updater - to keep track of dependencies between different programs.

I believe there may be a way to download the tar file and get the installer to install it but don't remember much - I will investigate.

If there are any Linux experts reading this that can help I would be much obliged.

I will let you know if I discover anything. greyhald, 02 Oct 2019, 16:28
I think I have figured out how to call the flatpak version of RealTimeSync using a CLI call, after referencing the docs dot flatpak dot org website, and the "man flatpak-run" documentation, by using a special flatpak parameter and giving it the file argument at the end (on my Ubuntu 20.04 system using /home/ubuntu and a sample RealTimeSync filename for reference):

flatpak run --command="RealTimeSync" org.freefilesync.FreeFileSync "/home/ubuntu/0to1.ffs_real"

I specified an absolute location but I think it will pick up files from the local folder as well in some cases (worked from my /home/ubuntu folder as a relative path). YMMV. Hope it helps someone.