Removable Drive Address

Get help for specific problems

bevhoward

Until recently, I only used FFS to keep specific folders synced on different Win Boxes.

Rather than Drive Letters, I have been using fully qualified computer names (i.e. \\media\..) which allows the same ffs_gui file to be used on all computers and that file is included in all syncs and does not rely on mapping drive letters.

I would now like to do something similar with a removable (i.e. thumbdrive) drive, but I have not found an easy way to assure that the removable drive won't end up with a different drive letter. Any suggestions?

A related question is that I tried to use an existing ffs_gui file by editing and replacing the computer names with a drive letter but FFS errors out when the comparison is run.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom on the above,
Beverly Howard

bevhoward

Here's the "compare" error message when I use "browse" to try and create a new config file from an existing one;

-====================-
Database file is corrupt:
"G:\ATxt\sync.ffs_db"
"\\MEDIA2\Users\Public\ATxt\sync.ffs_db"
second part missing
Setting default synchronization directions: Old files will be overwritten with newer files.
-====================-

Beverly Howard

bevhoward

re-"donated" for the current version and that appears to have addressed the problem

I pay for all software that I use, but (fwiw) I not a fan of this schema. From the purchaser side of the equation I now feel twice mislead.

Time to look for alternatives. Steve Gibson (Security Now blog) started with ffs, but now has posted other recommendations. It's a shame... I like the ffs software, but no matter how good it is, it's not worth the bad feelings.

Respectfully, but sincerely,
Beverly Howard

Plerry

... but I have not found an easy way to assure that the removable drive won't end up with a different drive letter. Any suggestions?bevhoward, 07 Oct 2019, 23:00
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=variable-drive-letters

bevhoward

Thanks... I had tried that in windows to access the drive without success

It appears that the option is unique to ffs.

A note to anyone else looking for this option... the "[]" brackets are required (not clear in the faq)

Thanks again,
Beverly Howard