Very slow data transfer even with multiple threads

Discuss new features and functions

Axel

Hi,

I'm using the donation version and want to sync (mirror) data from an FTP to my local harddrive. Just copy the data with FileZilla I get about 100MB/s of data transfer. Using FreeFileSync with 10 threads I end up at about 100KB/s. I tried to mirror the data to an empty folder to have - more or less - the same condition like copying.

Are there any options to increase the speed?

Regards,
Axel
Site Admin

Zenju

Which FFS version are you using?

Axel

Site Admin

Zenju

"Fail-safe file copy" increases the number of FTP accesses, something Filezilla probably doesn't do when copying files. Other than that, there shouldn't be a significant difference. If the difference is really that large, you might want to run Wireshark and have a look at what is happening at the network level. It's also possible that some external program (AV!) is messing with FreeFileSync.

xCSxXenon

more threads does not mean faster. Sometimes a single thread is faster. Multi thread is ONLY better when the remote location limits the speed on a single connection.

Monberg75

I'm actually seeing the same problem. Also ftp compared to Filezilla.
I thought maybe ffs was faulty on that part, so I tried winscp instead, only to see same result as ffs.
Don't know what makes fiæezilla better, but it really seems like it is.
Zenju mention failsafe file copy, could that be something that could be disabled in ffs to test if the transfer speed is increased?
I would love to use ffs, as it has some great options, but the low speed keeps me from it at some point.
Site Admin

Zenju

I thought maybe ffs was faulty on that part, so I tried winscp instead, only to see same result as ffs.
Don't know what makes fiæezilla better, but it really seems like it is. Monberg75, 29 Mar 2020, 20:17
Chances are good this is fixed with the next FFS update:
viewtopic.php?t=7149#p24094