Permissions problem between Mac OS Mojave and Catalina

Get help for specific problems

gogreen1

I sync an iMac with a Macbook Air with FFF. I upgraded the MacBook Air to MacOS Catalina (the iMac is still using Mojave), and now when I start a sync, FFF reports it cannot set directory locks for the synced folders (see screenshot). I've tried rewriting the volume path and resetting the permission on the MacBook Air, but I still get the same message. How do I correct this problem?
Attachments
FFF set directory locks.png
FFF set directory locks.png (170.74 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

gogreen1

Problem solved! I'm not sure if this solution is the best one, or the only one. Nevertheless, for the sake of others who may have the kinds of permissions problems I had in Mac OS with FFS, here's how I fixed it: I erased the content of the main synced directories on my target location, my MacBook Air--but not the directories themselves. That is, I cleared the subdirectories and files of the Documents, Music, Movies, Pictures, and a few other directories in which I back up files. Then I ran FFS as usual for those locations, and FFS worked perfectly.

cathy2house

Hi gogreen1, I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to sync my files on a new MacBook Air (2019) to my external hard drive; I wanted to try using the previous backups created from my old MacBook Air (2014), to avoid starting from scratch. I get the above message. I'm pretty new at this, but am I understanding that you are basically starting with a blank target location (except for the directory names (Documents, Movies etc)) since you erased their content?

UMAHIK

Hi. I'd like to share a solution I found for Catalina 10.15.4, FFS 10.2.3 (donation version). In Info of your targeted volume in Finder, make sure to set read/write permission for your account. > Click the gear icon in the bottom of the Info window and select "Apply to enclosed items" > Run FFS and see if it works properly. This fixed my "permission denied" problem completely. Hope this helps.