[Feature Request] check as completed if no changes need in the compare action

Discuss new features and functions

lucato

Dear Dev. when comparing folders, if no changes shows the job on the left list should be marked as "Completed sucefully" (Green check mark as ticked) .
Thanks.
Site Admin

Zenju

That's a FFS 10.17 feature, is there a problem with it?

lucato

Hi Zenju, thanks for your reply. Yes I have FFS 10.17, and I can't remember right now why it was not showing the green icon after no sync needed (equal status for both folders). Actually if the previous icon status is green mark, when comparing with no changes it is ok, it shows the green icon, but when the log icon was a different status (I can't remember now why it was different, not sure if it was due long time with no checking, like 7 days or more and the icon was other), after comparing and no sync still needed, FFS wasn't marking as a checked (green icon).
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS doesn't set the green checkmark when there were warnings or (ignored) errors during comparison.

lucato

FFS doesn't set the green checkmark when there were warnings or (ignored) errors during comparison. Zenju, 12 Nov 2019, 14:52
That wasn't the case. One way to you check the "issue" is... (Do it in a job that doesn't need sync, in other words the comparison is equal and you have saved it previously):
- Right click on a job and select "Hide* configuration (Del)";
- Load again this job - (The last sync will be shown as "-" and the log is empty");
- Click on the compare button;
- There you go, the sync is not needed and doesn't show the green checkmark as it was supposed to show.

(*) Actualy the hide configuration should be called "delete this job" once you don't get to unhide;

If I remember other moments that green checkmark doesn't show up I'll post here in the future.

lucato

Another way to do not show up the green checkmark that was supposed to show...
- Select multiple jobs where one of them has an error*;
- Compare them;
- You will have the log with (X)*;
- Now select the job (the content are equal) that doesn't need a sync and has not error but earned an error icon from the multiple selection and COMPARE IT;
- There you go! The job keeps with the (X) icon in the log column and shouldn't once it has no errors and also is equal the content with no sync needed, so it should change the log column to green check mark.

So, if I compare a job and it is equal, FFS should mark it as a green checkmark because the comparison was performed and no more action is needed, so it should get a green checkmark.

(*) If you compare multiple jobs and just one of them has an error, all selected jobs are marked as an error and it shouldn't IMHO. It should mark just the job with error
Site Admin

Zenju

Sorry, I meant the "last sync time". The green checkmark is only updated when doing an actual sync (which creates a log file that is linked to): viewtopic.php?t=6345

lucato

Sorry, I meant the "last sync time". The green checkmark is only updated when doing an actual sync (which creates a log file that is linked to): viewtopic.php?t=6345 Zenju, 12 Nov 2019, 17:15
Zenju, in my humble opinion, If you run "Compare" and there are no differences, it means that there is nothing to synchronize and therefore the log should be mark as greenchecked, once it was compared and there was nothing else to do. So, the job is complete and ok (Green Checkmark*).

So, IMHO you would add a log status in the following conditions when "Compare" button is pressed:
1. "IF COMPARED IS PRESSED and NO DIFFERENCES WAS FOUND, THEN log is EQUAL TO greenmark", so the job is ok and nothing else is needed to do;
2. "IF COMPARED IS PRESSED and DIFFERENCES WHERE FOUD, THEN log is EQUAL TO small sync icon, so, meaning a sync is needed in this job.

(*) Now a days a workaroung to get a greenmark on a job that there is no difference, I need to click on Sync, which makes no sence to click on sync once I have already compared and there was nothing to do.

Well, just my 2c. ;0)

xCSxXenon

That is the current behavior. If I run a compare on a job, it will give is a green check if there are no changes to be made.
Site Admin

Zenju

Currently the checkmark corresponds to the result of the log file that is linked. A comparison without sync means no update to the log, hence no update to the checkmark icon.
The (design) question is whether the checkmark should stand for something else, and if so what exactly.

lucato

Currently the checkmark corresponds to the result of the log file that is linked. A comparison without sync means no update to the log, hence no update to the checkmark icon.
The (design) question is whether the checkmark should stand for something else, and if so what exactly. Zenju, 16 Nov 2019, 12:44
In my opinion as said before the COMPARE button should have a job/log info icon, not only when using SYNC button.
So, if an user hit a compare button and NO changes are needed, the job/log info column receives the status as green check mark. So, in other words, even only using compare button, the user knows that have looked into this job and there is nothing else to do in the job, so it gets a green mark as job checked and ok. Now, If the comparison in this job needs something to be done, the job/log info column status gets a small sync icon instead a green checkmark. So, with the small sync icon user knows that such job needs to be synchronized and user needs to hit Sync button for this job.
Well just my 2c. ;0)