Synchronization of 1 file. Performance.

Get help for specific problems

willianalagues

Good evening. I am using FFS and RTS to synchronize a folder containing 1 text file, this text file grows over time. My question is, with each sync, RTS syncs the entire file, or it syncs only the different between the two files. I say this because this file can reach 20gb, and since my sync is done every 1 minute, is there any chance of crashing my computer? Sorry for my bad english. Thank you.

Plerry

As the name states, FreeFileSync (FFS) is a file-syncing program.
When discovering differences in date or size, the complete file is copied over.
FFS does not do incremental syncs (at file level).

willianalagues

Thanks for the answer.
So if I have a 5gb txt file, and I'm adding data to that file. On the next sync will he sync the 5gb again? If I set the sync to be done every 1 minute, is there a risk of a sync starting without the last one ending and locking the sync?
Thank you.

Plerry

Syncing every 1 minute seems overdone in (almost) any case.
But likely that is not what you mean.
I assume you mean the idle-time setting of RTS (isn't assumption is the mother of all f***-ups ...).
This means that RTS will only launch an FFS sync after first detecting (one or more) changes to the monitored folder(s), and then waits the idle-time before launching the FFS sync.
If further changes to the monitored folder(s) would occur during the idle-time, the idle-time counter is reset.

Execution of the FFS sync task (performing the Compare and consequential copying over of a 5gb (bit or byte?) file) may very well take more than 1 minute (if it is a local copy, it may still be OK).
But that is no problem. See here (bottom paragraph).