New comparison needed after updating filters

Get help for specific problems

huuurz

Hi,
Situation: Made a comparison, not synced yet.

When changing filters in a way that afterwards there are more files to handle, a new comparison is needed. This should be communicated via alert or something!
If you are changing filters in a way that afterwards there are less files to handle, the comparison list is updated instantly and no new comparison is needed.

Might be some internal caching problem. Excluded files are deleted from the comparison cache and can't be shown when the respective exclude filter is removed.

Greets,
Huuurz

Plerry

Excluded files are deleted from the comparison cache and can't be shown when the respective exclude filter is removed.
That's not correct.
Excluded files and folders are simply not considered for / part of the comparison.
The Compare results for those files/folders are not deleted, but rather are not available, as that comparison is/was skipped/not performed (in order to save sometimes substantial time in the Compare phase). So, then it is obvious that if you remove exclusions, for those files a (new) comparison needs to be performed.

huuurz

That's not correct.Plerry, 27 Nov 2019, 08:17
Yep it was a wild guess.
So, then it is obvious that if you remove exclusions, for those files a (new) comparison needs to be performed.
From the logic behind: yes, obvious. As an enduser: No.
I rather would have guessed it automatically starts a new comparison after filter change. As this feels too intrusive, a simple notice somewhere should also do it (and no detection logic needed).
if you remove exclusions
Most obvious, but if I change a filter from temp/*/*/*.log to temp/*/*.log I don't even know if there will be more or less files to handle after comparison.

Plerry

That may very well be (I am not the author ...) why the GUI only supports graphically making the filtering (inclusions and exclusions) more restrictive (temporary or "permanent").

Modifying your filtering (such that it potentially may become less restrictive) can only be done by manually editing the filter definitions (via the funnel-icon or F7).

I agree with you that it would be more elegant if the user is warned that a new Compare may be required after (manually, via F7 or the Filter-tab) modifying the filter definitions (or actually: after any change in Comparison (F6), Filter (F7) or Synchronization (F8) Settings).
Alternatively, after any such modification the Compare results could be reset/empty.