Some questions

Discuss new features and functions

Bellzemos

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 PC and would like a weekly (or maybe even daily) sync of my whole local disk to an external disk.

Using FFS, I'm planning to fist make a complete copy of all my partitions (not only the C partition but the hidden ones too) on the external drive (which is the same size as the internal one). Will FFS do that?

After that, I'm planning to connect the external disk for a couple of minutes via USB 3.0 to sync and copy all the new content/files from the local disk to the external disk. Usually I don't make many changes in terms of size, so I guess it will be quick.

In a case that my internal disk dies, will I be able to use the exernal one, with the most recent synchronization, as a replacement? I mean, if I connect it to the SATA port of my PC, will it substitute my dead disk, just like a clone - will I be able to boot up into Windows normally, like nothing happened?

Another question, when syncing, does FFS take a lot of system resources, leaves a big footprint? And when it's not in use, are there any services running or any home calling going on? I'd only need it when I connect the external USB disk, otherwise I'd like it to be completely inactive.

Thanx in advance for your help!

Plerry

It seems your expectations are quite unrealistic.

For making copies of complete partitions, particularly system- and bootable partitions, you should use an imaging tool, and not a file-sync tool like FreeFileSync (FFS).

For data partitions you can use FFS to sync your files.
If you intend to sync entire partitions, and those partitions are sizeable (e.g. a few TB), just comparing the two partitions may take quite some time (much more than "a couple of minutes"), particularly if a large number of small files are involved.

Normally you can not simply take the disk containing the most recent sync, swap it for the original disk and expect it to work "as is".

Apart from the disk space for storing the program and some log-files, FFS only takes resources when open/active.

Bellzemos

Thank you for the reply.

Would that work: I first clone my internal disk (with imaging software) to my external disk. Then, I sync all partitions, whole (C, D etc.) between the internal and external disk. At the end of the day, I connect the external disk via USB and let FFS do it's magic.

Could a disk like that (the exeternal/backup one) be then used to simply boot into system with all the latest date files, in case of internal disk failure?

What can FFS sync, whole partitions, "C" etc., or only folders and subfolders in the partiton (no root)?

Another question, what exactly is "Parallel file copy" that only works in the "Donation edition"? I've read the link but don't fully understand how it affects speed of synchronisation.

xCSxXenon

That will not work. If you start messing with and syncing system and program files, you will have a bad time. Windows will detects improper changes or signature discrepancies. You need a RAID 1 setup through the motherboard that mirrors everything. In order to retain your current OS, you'd have to create an image of it, configure the RAID 1 which will wipe the drives, then use that image and blast it to the new RAID array. FFS is best served as data backup, not OS backup.

FFS can back up anything you have permissions to read.

It opens more than a single transfer channel for connections that limit transfer speed.

Bellzemos

I see, thank you for the reply.

What are the best practices to use FFS like, really? Only sync the data folders on an external HDD (or USB)?

If I only do the sync "one-way" (copying/modifying/overwriting - but only from the local disk, to the external disk), you still wouldn't recommend doing this for the system files? Only data files?

"It opens more than a single transfer channel for connections that limit transfer speed." - does that apply only to network transfers or to a disk connected via USB to the computer as well?

xCSxXenon

It is used to sync data between two locations, does not matter what locations. I use it to sync a set of tools I locally maintain to many locations, USB drives, network shares, and cloud locations. I also use it to backup my cloud storage to an external SSD and USB drive. It is not a SYSTEM backup, it is a DATA backup.

I don't recommend syncing system files because they vary from computer to computer and OS versions so having a backup doesn't do you any good if they aren't compatible with the new setup.

A disk connected directly won't have that limitation so there is no benefit to using more channels, and may actually slow it down for some devices.

Bellzemos

Thanx, you've been very helpful, I understand FFS better now. It's all about data backup, not system backup.

I have around 300 GB of data files on my internal disk. How long would it take just to compare the synched folders of my internal disk VS my external USB attached disk? Majority of flies would change very rarely.

Would I benefit much by getting a SSD drive for the external drive (my internal drive is SSD already, the external one is HDD now)?

So for me, using a USB connected external disk, the "Parallel file copy" has no meaning, it only counts for network storage - did I get that right?

xCSxXenon

Time ranges depend on computer hardware, drive speeds, and protocols used. External mechanical drive over USB 3.0 wouldn't be bad, but of course having an external SSD will speed things up greatly. You will want to turn on the database options, that can shrink times down as well. Lastly, yes, the parallel file copy option will most likely just slow down your USB transfer. You can always experiment and go back to a single channel as well.

Bellzemos

Backing up to a USB flash drive would be probably faster than to a USB attached HDD?

What are the database options?

I've read some posts of people losing data after trying FFS for the first time. I don't want that, I would like only to do a one-way mirror/comparison, so only copy new files, modified files and perhaps delete files that aren't on my internal disk anymore. But only one way, so my internal disk never ever gets affected by FFS, in any way, no matter what I (manually or in FFS) do with my external/backup disk. What should I watch out for?

Again, thanks!

xCSxXenon

Depends on the flash drive. Most likely, it would be slower than HDD. Some flash drives are high performance and can be faster, but not common. You'll just have to try.

The database is just an on-off toggle. It keeps track of moved/renamed files so it doesn't delete and recopy data, taking longer than moving.

I have never lost data, inspect and understand the settings and you'll be okay.

Bellzemos

So the "database function" serves so that if any files were moved or renamed on the source, it does that on the destination only, but without copying from the source. So all it is, is't a time-saver function, right? Not mandatory for usage?

Anyway, I've istalled FFS and tried it out with a USB flash drive. I've selected my Desktop folder as source, created a new Desktop folder on the USB flash drive and started testing. I've chosen the Mirror option as I think it's right for me. I left the filters to default. To my surprise, the links were not copied to the destination/backup drive, only "regular" files, but not links (lnk extension) - how come? Otherwise, FFS acted out like I tought in this little test.

As I see it, the core of the FFS functionality is Two Way, Mirror and Update options. I haven't found much info on each, so I'll try to define them here, on my test case, help me out please.

With the "Two Way", after everything gets copied from my source Dekstop to my USB drive Desktop folder, if I then delete a file, on the source Desktop fodler (HDD) OR on the destination Desktop folder (USB), it will then, after FFS runs Two Way process, get deleted on BOTH locations. No matter where I've deleted it from.

With "Mirroring", whatever I do with files and folder on the source (HDD) will be then "mirrored" on the destination drive (USB). So, if I create a new file or folder, if I modify file or folder or if I delete file or folder on the source, this will then also happen on the destination drive - after I apply the Mirror process with FFS. If I create a new file or folder, if I modify file or folder or if I delete file or folder on the destination drive (USB in my case), after the Mirror process is run in FFS, NOTHING will change on my source drive. Right?

And the "Update" option, if I delete something on the source, it won't get deleted on the destination, after FFS Update is run, right? Only if I create new files or modify existing ones, those will be copied to the destination?

So, for my purposes - daily/weekly backup of data files and folders FROM my internal drive (source) TO my external drive (destination), would you suggest MIRRORING as the best option? From my understanding, that would be the good and safe solution for me.

"Update" would leave unneeded files remaining on the backup/external driver and "Two Way" is a bit dangerous if something gets deleted or modified on the external/backup drive. Are my asumptions right?

Are there any other "dangers of FFS misuse" that could resould in data loss, except for the Two Way not being used properly?

Again, thank you for the help!

xCSxXenon

Just a time-saver, yes

That is most likely because the contents in "public/desktop" also appear on the desktop, so you may want to peek in the public user folder to check. They are two different locations that Windows display on the one screen.

You are exactly right about the options. The only thing I will mention is that with "mirror" if you delete a folder on the destination, it will get copied again if it still exists in "source". For a data backup, mirror is generally the way to go. You may consider looking into versioning as well, I don't use that personally though.

Not really any dangers, it is very straight-forward

Bellzemos

You are right about public/user Desktop, I checked it and it's exactly right - I've only selected the user Desktop in my test - and the lnk files were in public Desktop.

I think it's obvious what you wrote about deleting a folder on the destination with the "mirror" function - deleting a folder (or a file) in the destination resoults in copying that folder or/and file from the source back to the destination again - in the next "mirror" run. Is that what you meant or did I get something wrong?

Versionig is if you need more versions of the same files? I don't, I only need the most recent copy of the state on my internal disk, that's all.

What are the usual good practices for Windows OS folder and file backups with FFS? Which folders could/should I chose?

Looking at my C partition, I was thinking of selecting those:

- All folders (with all files and subfolders) on the root of C that I crated myself
- The whole Users folder (is that a good idea? - since it has some hidden folders and whatnot in it, or should some subfolders be excluded?)

And skipping those folders:

- Program files folder
- Program data folder
- Windows folder
- System made files and folders (Recycle bin, bootmgr, pagefile etc.)

Or could I safely include any of the above as well (Program data for example has some user specific files in it)?

Bellzemos

So what would you say are the best practices for Windows 10 FFS backup to a HDD? The folders I listed? Any exclusions?

Are my other assumptions right?

Thank you.

Bellzemos

Anyone, please? Esp. about which folders to exclude... Thanx.