NEW FEATURE - reverse sorting

Discuss new features and functions

kolos123

Hey,
I have been using FFS for some time now, and I have noticed a missing feature - an option for reverse sorting the file names.

I have a DVR in my house that is connected to my PC. The DVR streams the files to a folder in an ascending order.
in other words when I sync the oldest files are synced first.

What I hope to do is to sync the newest files with my flash drive, which cannot transfer all files at once because of size issues.

This feature will help me a lot, I spent a lot of time manually copying files and this would save me a lot of time.
I hope my donation encourages you to consider adding this as a new feature!

Plerry

Perhaps using the time-span feature can help.

kolos123

Unfortunately this doesn't solve my problem.

If I choose a time span that contains files that are larger then my DOKs capacity, I may lose some of the newest clips - because there is no file name sort.
Also If I choose a time span that contains less then my DOKs capacity I may lose some older clips I want to keep.

mhwerner

Sounds like a good feature. Will it happen? If so when?

Plerry

Note, that what you are asking (reverse sorting on date) can presently already be done.
If you right-click in a header of the Compare result window you can select to show the Date, and by left-clicking in that header you can sort/reverse-sort based on that item.

However, that likely does not solve your problem, as it just presents the Compare results in the selected sequence, but does not necessarily mean that the synchronization is performed in that sequence.

kolos123

It doesn't solve it, as you said. Is adding the feature going to happen?

Plerry

That's up to the author of FFS.
I can't oversee the impact of syncing in the sequence as ultimately shown in the compare results window, and any potential adverse effects of that, e.g. how to deal with having only selected categories visible in the compare results.