Empty file with no extension pops up

Get help for specific problems

techtech

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to look at this.
I have several FreeFileSync batch jobs, each scheduled every 3 hours.
I get Windows pop up quite often that asks which program do I want to use to open this file.
The file name is FreeFileSync with no extension, so I know for sure it’s related to the FreeFileSync which probably tries to open this file automatically.
The file is always empty when I open it with Notepad.
I checked settings and I specify logs folders (not where this file is). I looked at the batch files and settings. I cannot find anything that could cause it. It is so annoying.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated to know what causes it and where to change it to stop happening.

Thanks again.

xCSxXenon

The files shouldn't be empty when opening in notepad. The extension is probably wrong or the batch job is set up wrong

Plerry

As clearly stated in the Manual page on scheduling batch jobs, for scheduled jobs you need to invoke the FFS executable, not just the *.ffs_batch file, even though there is a file-association for *.ffs_batch files.
(see the first note under "A. Windows Task Scheduler:")

techtech

Thank you for both replies. Sorry i did not say anything earlier because each was irrelevant to what i described. I actually found what the problem was, a while ago. Sorry for posting it so late but maybe it would help someone. The problem was in specifying path to the batch files without quotes. That path contained spaces so quotes must be used. Without it FreeFileSync application was trying to open something like "C:\Program" and of course there was no such file so FreeFileSync was opening an empty unnamed file and Windows did not even know how to open it because it naturally did not have any extensions. Anyway, as soon at quotes were added to encapsulate the path in the parameter everything started to work. Thank you again everyone.