Option to define conflict resolution for two-side sync

Discuss new features and functions

kazink

Hi, I need FFS to behave like this, but it doesn't seem possible.

I want a <-- two-side --> sync for a directory pair, but without having to manually resolve conflicts. I just want all conflicts to be resolved by copying from left to right side. So in the directory pair settings I choose the "custom" settings, set the green arrow on the conflict tile.

This kind of works, but not exactly. Because if I do that, then files deleted on the either side will be copied from the other side, so deletions are not synced properly now. I think the "detect moved files" option would do the trick, but it is grayed out :(

Please tell me if there is an option for that, or if not, could you make it?

kazink

No comments?
Of course I meant "two-way", not "two-side". I had to translate from my localized version :)

Plerry

Your proposal sound logical, but as you concluded yourself, is presently not possible because for Custom syncs (and for Update syncs ...) the Detect Moved Files option is disabled.
I don't know why this is.
However, you may be able to "solve" this yourself (not sure if this works, but you can try).
You can define two separate FFS syncs that also need to be run separately, and in the proper sequence.
First you run an FFS two-way sync (which leaves conflicts unresolved, but properly handles deleted files).
And then run a FFS Custom sync on the same left-right base locations, where you set all Actions to the minus-icon (do nothing), except for the Conflict Category, where you set the Action to the green arrow (Update right item).

It may however be that on the next two-way sync FFS wants to copy the files updated in the Custom sync back to the left location.Content-wise that should be a problem (the two should be identical), but it is not necessary and may waste time.
Site Admin

Zenju

is presently not possible because for Custom syncs (and for Update syncs ...) the Detect Moved Files option is disabled.
I don't know why this is. Plerry, 19 Feb 2020, 10:54
"Move" is an optimization for "Create + Delete", therefore the move-option can only be selected iff custom settings are set so that both "create" and "delete" are active.

Plerry

So, I learned something new about FFS, although (at least for now) I fail to see the logic.
If you define a Custom sync variant, you can only select to Detect moved files when you
* select the "Delete left item" Action for the "Item exists on left side only" Category OR
* select the "Delete right item" Action for the "Item exists on right side only" Category.

So, if TS creates, modifies and deletes files on both sides and wants those changes to propagate to the other side (and thus would need a data-base and therefore the option to select detecting moved files) he has no option to (directly) define a Custom Action for the Conflict Category.

kazink

Thank you Plerry for the idea of solution. I just tried it, and sadly it doesn't work. When I run the second custom sync, it marks all the files as "do nothing", because for this sync FFS ignores the database, so it doesn't detect a conflict, but a newer file. I would have to manually change the action for all files in the second sync. Which is easier than changing it for every conflict in the first sync, but still a lot of clicking for the whole process each time I want to sync everything.

The only reasonable solution would be to add a new feature for default conflict action.

I also fail to understand the meaning of the "conflict" category in the Custom sync. If FFS doesn't use the database to check for modified/deleted files, how can there be a conflict at all? If there is no possibility of a conflict, what is the setting for?

Plerry

OK, so in the 2nd (the Custom) sync there are no longer conflicts, just newer and older files ...
But then you may try defining the "Update right item" Action for both the "Left side is newer" and "Right side is newer" Categories. Obviously, you now have to run this Custom sync instantly following the two-way sync.

Note that the Conflict Category is described as "Conflict/item can not be categorized".
Obviously, when using the database, this covers cases in which the left- and right-side file have changed since the last sync. Such cases constitute a real conflict.
However, occasionally I also get notifications for this Category if files only differ in attributes.
This may e.g. be the case when file names only differ in capitalization.

kazink

Hi, it works now. You are right, in the second sync there are only conflicts left, so FFS doesn't have to distinguish between a conflict and an updated file.
That solves the problem for me. Thank you.