Time estimate - used to work more accurately

Discuss new features and functions

ajacques

I used to claim FreeFileSync as the ultimate estimator of time left to finish.

Microsoft is always way off and continues to update its remaining time throughout the process.

All of a sudden, FreeFileSync is doing the same thing. The good estimates were working through 10.18. I have since upgraded to 10.20 and now see the same mis-estimate as I see from Microsoft. I had 470Mb to copy and it started as 3+ hours. Within 10 seconds the time was revised to 35 minutes, another 10 seconds went by and the time was revised to 2.5 minutes, another 10 seconds and the time was revised to 5 seconds where it stayed for the next minute and a half, the bounced up to 7 seconds and counted down, revising a couple of times back to 7 seconds until it finished.

What changed? Why change the best countdown in the industry?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Sakuukuli

The time left seems to be only estimated based on the file size remaining. It would be better to use the maximum or average of both the file size and amount of files remaining instead. In the attachments I have an example where the program estimated 33 seconds based on the file size, but the copying took 51 seconds and the items remaining would've been a much better estimate.
Attachments
Copying in progress
Copying in progress
20210109-154547_503-FreeFileSync_x64_blur.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Copying finished
Copying finished
20210109-154606_629-FreeFileSync_x64_blur.png (19.25 KiB) Viewed 471 times

xCSxXenon

More discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=5187
Definitely worth looking into still, the time estimates are pretty much useless, like Windows estimations. Since really nothing has ever been good, I don't know if a good algorithm even exists lol