OneDrive sync feature.

Discuss new features and functions

Kasazn

Hello there! I have been a fan and a donation user for FreeFileSync for a long time. Love this software. Love the Google Drive cloud sync feature.

However, I wish there is a OneDrive cloud sync feature as well. Will it be coming soon? I surely do hope so.

martin_soaring

I'm also looking forward to supporting OneDrive.

tfa

OneDrive sync +1

RelayUK

+1 for me too :)

KevDaley

Really need OneDrive connector!

Denisov

+1 for me

David Morrow

I've been a FFS and Onedrive user for several years. I use FFS to do basic backups to Onedrive every day. Is there something something else here that I am missing. On the right side, I just browse to the Onedrive folder as my target.

Timmmy

+1

PerS

Hi
In the process of evaluating FFS and I got it to work great between my PC and my NAS. Like the GUI and the functionality, feels reliable. I have one thing I can’t find a solution for – Sync to OneDrive.
I know I can sync to OneDrive directory on my PC and let OneDrive do the sync. That could be handy, but I have 350+ GB of data in 120k+ files, 12k+ directories and spread on 3 drives. That would more than double the size of my local disk space on C:\ and probably expose my disk to extra load that could impact overall performance.

Anyone found a way to make this sync direct to OneDrive? I tried to make a direct access with the target drive on OneDrive to be a https-address. That failed and could not get it to work. Anyone with a solution on this?

One solution I still evaluating is to make the connection via my NAS (Sync PC ->NAS -> OneDrive, there is a connector available with the same demands on the structure as on the PC). OneDrive/MS is so stupid, it does not understand that data in PC can be spread to more than one disk and definitely not as in the OneDrive structure. This force me though to change my NAS-structure into one directory with the substructure as OneDrive causing other problems…

I used Goodsync for some time but got other problems. Technically I could make the connection to OneDrive direct and replicate my data structure, but it randomly “forgot” files and directories. Even start to sync files/directories that was never changed. So not an option. Found FFS much more reliable.

So, a long post… any ideas for me to try out?

Take care… /Per

PerS

Just an add-on to previous post – On daily basis it’s just a handful of files that are changed or are new. So not much update traffic, majority will be sync/check for updates

xCSxXenon

Nope, have to wait for it to be added

PerS

OK, thanks for the reply. I will try the NAS-way and see if I can make a decent temp solution.

Take care… /Per

egomezk

Anyone found a way to make this sync direct to OneDrive? I tried to make a direct access with the target drive on OneDrive to be a https-address. That failed and could not get it to work. Anyone with a solution on this? PerS, 12 Oct 2020, 16:13
I have found this link: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/assign-drive-letter-to-onedrive-008.html

PerS

Hi egomezk
Thanks for the reply. Looks interesting, will look in to it. At a first glance it looks like i mapp virtual drives on OneDrive in Explorer and I use EasySync to sync from my local drivs to the virtual drives on OneDrive. I dig into it...
My NAS (Asustor AS5002) will get a new firmware, 4.0 (not released yet), and an updated DataSyncCenter that can handle the connection to OneDrive (old one and OneDrive were no friends..:-). If they don't make surprising changes in how it handles files/directories I guess I will go for that solution - PC -> EasySync -> NAS -> DataSyncCenter -> OneDrive.
As an experiment (during spring) I tried to move files manually by select a number of folders with Explorer and dropped them via a webbrowser session to OneDrive. My finding here was that the session to OneDrive was not stable, it skipped files, closed the connection etc. In other word, not reliable and a pain to find what was copied and was skipped. With the old NAS OS/DataSyncCenter I hade similar problems and in addition it dropped bandwidth to almost nothing. Asustor confirmed this and the new updates are addressing those issues (they were very helfull and made me some bug fixes and also confirmed that they could not fix this in old version and that MS also had to fix some issues/update there API-spec's, similar what I experienced). I also had a dialog with my ISP to check if I hade any dropouts and they checked that for a period, no issues and I could not fine any from my sid either.

So, sorry for a long reply, but again, thanks for your reply and I check that out too...

Take Care //Per

pnachtwey

I have a company and personal one drive and I can use FFS to sync to both. I also sync to a Synology NAS at my company and a Drobo5N NAS at home. At home I also have a 8TB USB drive connected to the Synology router and I can sync with all of them from my PC.

HOWEVER!, there are some gotchas. Do not move or sync the .ffs_db files.

IsaacEthan

+1 me too

manu371

Sync every onedrive with freefilesync,for example local to onedrive, onedrive to another onedrive ...

Press the key combination [Win] + [E] to open Windows Explorer.
Click on "This PC" in the left column and then on "Computer" > "Map network drive" in the menu bar.
In the "Folder:" field, enter the following URL without the quotation marks: "https://d.docs.live.net/". Do not confirm your entry yet.
Sign in to OneDrive in your web browser. In the address line at the end of the URL you will see an identification code that is assigned to your user account. Copy the sequence of letters and numbers after "cid=" to the clipboard.
Then switch back to the "Map network drive" window and paste the code from the clipboard behind the URL in the folder input field. If you want, you can accept the default drive letter or choose a different one. Confirm the process with "Finish".
A new window will open in which you need to enter the credentials of your OneDrive user account.
Use ffs.

that's it.

patrickdrd

ok but what about business acounts? these don't have cid as I see:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-sharepoint-and-teams-files-with-your-computer-6de9ede8-5b6e-4503-80b2-6190f3354a88?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

I found something similar on google but it doesn't seem to work for me,
I'm getting access denied when trying to setup map network drive because
I can't use internet explorer to navigate to the page portal.office.com,
it requests me to install edge, I opened edge and signed in but it doesn't solve the issue

ABG

Apologies for jumping into this thread. I have OneDrive mapped to a drive letter. The issue is MS uses proprietary escape characters for certain characters that FreeFileSync won't match as they appear in explorer that way e.g., & will appear as ^0, + will appear as ^M, ,(comma) as a ^J, etc. Does anyone know of a workaround for this, or native support for OneDrive as online storage? Thanks...

xCSxXenon

Does anyone know of a workaround for this, or native support for OneDrive as online storage? ABG, 22 Dec 2022, 08:58
Use the native OneDrive app to sync your OneDrive contents to a local drive. Turn off "Files on demand", the feature that saves local drive space. Sync from/to the local location which will then sync to the cloud automatically

ABG

Thanks for the prompt reply, unfortunately I missed in important piece of information. I already have a personal OneDrive account using the app so I need to use the mapping drive letter to https://d.docs.live.net/[cid] method of accessing the cloud-based storage.