MTP: Unexpected size of data stream

Get help for specific problems

Jake

Source Apple iPhone iOS 13.3.1: mtp:\Apple iPhone\Internal Storage\DCIM

Cannot read file "mtp:\Apple iPhone\Internal Storage\DCIM\100APPLE\IMG_0257.MOV".

Unexpected size of data stream.
Expected: 3924894 bytes
Actual: 0 bytes [notifyUnbufferedRead]

Tried to filter .mov files out of this... Just jpg's, no luck:

Cannot read file "mtp:\Apple iPhone\Internal Storage\DCIM\100APPLE\IMG_0411.JPG".

Unexpected size of data stream.
Expected: 177966 bytes
Actual: 0 bytes [notifyUnbufferedRead]

EDIT: Version 10.22 [Donation Edition] 64bit 18.3.2020
Site Admin

Zenju

What happens if you try to copy via Windows Explorer?

Jake

What happens if you try to copy via Windows Explorer? Zenju, 26 Mar 2020, 08:48
Looks like it copies it, but actually it just creates a file with size 0kB. The size on the phone for a file is 173KB. The size doesn't match with other jpeg's, so probably not FFS probelm.

Sher

Just for the information of everyone, I was expecting the same issue with an Samsung S8 mainly since I was using Windows 10 with FreeFilesync. I tried with another system that I have with Windows 7 and it works perfectly with the same version of FreeFilesync, so it has to be related with a mtp driver implemented in Windows 10. Anyway, can Freefilesync find the root cause of why it is working perfectly in Windows 7 and not in Windows 10, because I'm afraid that we will have to keep using Windows 10 during a while.

Regards

srgms

Hi
I have just experienced the same issue.
It's with iPhone mtp transfer and windows 10.
Moving files with explorer works
With the tool I can't copy any file and getting the same error as mentioned on top

Thanks for your support

xCSxXenon

Seems to be MTP/iPhone related, not FFS

srgms

Seems to be MTP/iPhone related, not FFS xCSxXenon, 20 Nov 2020, 16:16
Then why can I copy using win explorer?
Can you expand your comment?

xCSxXenon

"Works in 7 but not 10" is a start
FFS does have additional overhead and extra operations that trigger an issue with mtp, which again, stinks on its own. FFS is made up of those operations, so they just be taken out or changed that easily. Granted, on my Galaxy Note 10+, I have no issues with FFS/mtp other than it can be a little slow, but Samsung has implemented some changes to its storage systems

srgms

Not very helpful.

Perhaps any constructive comment from dev team?

xCSxXenon

Dev said "What happens if you try to copy via Windows Explorer?"
OP responded "...probably not FFS probelm."
It is helpful, just not what you want to hear. The problem, for what seems to be for very limited number of users, hasn't been fixed and probably can't be inside FFS.

srgms

Are you a developer or just forum geek?

I'm a technical guy so spare your bla bla bla for others who might get impressed with this

There is a specific technical issue mentioned here and so far you are just taking tons of assumptions without carrying out any technical investigation. In my opinion it's just waste of time, yours and every one else who had to read it

xCSxXenon

Ha OK
Your first post said "same issue"
If you're technical, you can clearly see where the thread went, which is nowhere. The dev responded asking if it works fine outside of FFS, using Windows file explorer, and it had the same issue. That means it isn't an issue with FFS. It even went further and was determined that Windows 7 was fine, leading to an issue in the Windows/MTP handling. There is no technical investigation required when it is working fine for others, me included. You have the issue, why don't you do the investigation.
Your back-handed insults are gross and unwarranted. This is a forum with people spending their free time helping others and sharing experience. My 'bla bla bla' is not to impress people, it's to explain things in plain and high detail to those who struggle to grasp certain concepts. Have a good one, I hope we do find a solution to this problem

srgms

If I was a programmer I would but I'm not. It doesn't mean I can't understand the basic concepts.
Perhaps I wasn't clear in the posts above so let me summarise:
1. I haven't try it on Win7, it was the other user
2. I tried on Win10 win explorer and the copy does work
3. I'm a big fan of FFS hence I wanted to utilise it to sync many folders and suggest it to my friend as the best tool to use for specific use case, IMHO much better than manual folder copies
4. FFS in this case would not copy any file - all of them error out with the same msg as for the other user

As the operation works with Win explorer and doesn't work with FFS the first assumption is that something is wrong with FFS.

And thanks for your support and free time spent here, it is of course appreciated!!
Site Admin

Zenju

@srgms: Can you post the exact error message you get?

Moving files with explorer works srgms, 20 Nov 2020, 04:22
The problem with Explorer is that it doesn't properly check for errors. So "works" with Explorer can mean it's just silently corrupting your data with no error indication, e.g.: viewtopic.php?t=578

srgms

Thanks for the reply, I hope to have some time tomorrow to get some more troubleshooting with my friend and get captured the exact error msg
PS. we are copying photos, the ones we managed to copy looked ok, the jpgs where not corrupt so I would assume they were fully copied. I had some corrupt jpgs in the past with a broken HDD and basically only part of the photo could be rendered. That wasn't the case here but I will double check

srgms

Did more tests, thanks for the suggestions, after carefully checking the files it seems that indeed some of them are getting corrupted, in fact there is 0 bytes copied, but some were copied ok (with explorer)

I'm looking further trying to get different drivers for the device to see if that helps