Back up of Sub set complex folders - tree suggestion

Discuss new features and functions

Louiscar

Hi,

I don't know whether this has been mentioned elsewhere or that I might have missed something but I'd like to see some kind of way to choose a subset of a complex folder structure for backup.

eg. On windows I back up the personal folders but I really don't want all of it so I have choose what I need to be backed up however, FFS doesn't make this easy (from what I can see and I stand corrected if I missed it).

Ideally at some point it would be good to see a tree selection view of the folders to backup. The only way I can see to do the backup is to created several input > output sections withing the backup job which can take ages to create and ages to modify if need be.

Just a suggestion for a future idea?
Site Admin

Zenju

There's a tree-panel on the bottom left...

Louiscar

Ah ok I see - you set the job up and then do a compare then you can right click on tree elements to exclude in filters.

However, this has highlighted 2 potential problems :

After doing a compare on 2 separate jobs (Personal Folders to 2 separate locations)
One is conspicuously missing a folder see picture 1 and 2 (My Pictures folder is missing in 1) so I wouldn't be able to create a filter based on this job and to be clear that folder exists in the backup as well as the original.

There's probably a very good explanation for this but it's confusing to me to use it with confidence right now.

Edit: Seemingly if you've already synced the folder the tree on the left only shows the missing files, once the sync is mirrored then you don't get any tree so if you needed to set up filters you can't use this method unless you set up a dummy location, set up the filters and then copy them all to the working jobs. That'd work I guess ..

https://imgur.com/a/gT02xPO

The other problem is that the selection of a "exclude via filter" saves this to the exclusion list:
\Jaws3\My Pictures\Ashampoo Burning Studio 14\
and that is an invalid link, ie. it cannot be reached if put into explorer because the absolute path is:
D:\Personal folders\Jaws3\My Pictures\Ashampoo Burning Studio 14\
So this filter gets ignored.
Now I can't speak for a situation when the documents folder has not been re-allocated by I have done so and moved it to my D: - FFS seems to be picking up a relative line but unless it is prepending the relevant path to this I don't see how it will work.

So for both reasons this method of creating a filter list seems to be too troublesome unless I am missing something. I can of course create the filter manually or go in there and prepend
D:\Personal folders

to all the entries I guess.
Site Admin

Zenju

After doing a compare on 2 separate jobs (Personal Folders to 2 separate locations)
One is conspicuously missing a folder see picture 1 and 2 (My Pictures folder is missing in 1) Louiscar, 02 Apr 2020, 16:08
The tree view is dependent on the view filter settings at the bottom.

The other problem is that the selection of a "exclude via filter" saves this to the exclusion list:
\Jaws3\My Pictures\Ashampoo Burning Studio 14\
Louiscar, 02 Apr 2020, 16:08
That's the correct syntax. If you think the filter gets ignored, then there's something else going on.

unless I am missing something.Louiscar, 02 Apr 2020, 16:08
Absolutely! :) viewtopic.php?t=6755

Louiscar

Thanks for clearing this all up.
I could have sworn that the paths I had previously were ignored so I set up a test and excluded all but one folder to make it quick and it worked. So yes :-) thanks again.

Louis
PS not sure of the relevance of this though: viewtopic.php?t=6755