Batch Job: how to play a sound, and auto-close the confirmation window at end of sync?

Get help for specific problems

cagross

Hello. I have real time sync to automatically carry out a sync whenever a file is changed. When the sync is complete, I would like a small sound to be played, and the confirmation window at end to be auto-closed. How can I do that?

In the 'Save as batch job' dialog box, there are two checkboxes:

* run minimized
* auto-close

I tried all four combinations of checking/unchecking those boxes, and none did what I want. The best I can get is for the sound to play, but the confirmation window to remain open (I have to click 'ok' to close it).

Do I have to instead play the sound by automatically executing a command line command after every sync?

Thanks in advance.
Site Admin

Zenju

The "sync complete" sound only plays if the results dialog is shown. If you want to play a sound unconditionally you could come up with an appropriate command line and place it into the "on completion" box in FFS's sync settings.

cagross

OK thanks for that. The 'on completion' box is here (screenshot: Image). But what kind of command do I need to enter into that box?

Let's say that I open a command prompt in Windows, and successfully run a command to play a short sound. Would I then enter that same command into the 'on completion' box?

Plerry

See e.g. here.
For a simple bell sound try entering
powershell -c echo `a
for a wav.system sound try entering
powershell -c (New-Object Media.SoundPlayer "C:\Windows\Media\notify.wav").PlaySync();
In the latter case, make sure you specify the correct path and name of the sound file you want to play.

cagross

Hi, thanks for your help, and so sorry for the delay. I gave your suggestion a try, but can't seem to get any sound to play upon completion. Here's what I did.

* As a test, open Windows PowerShell and execute the command you gave: powershell -c echo `a This did indeed play a system sound.

* In my .ffs_gui file, I edited my settings, and added this command to the 'Run a command' input field (screenshot: Image).

* I then made an edit to a file, and synced it, from with the FFS GUI (by clicking the green 'Synchronize' button). The sync completed, but no sound was played.

Thoughts? Did I misunderstand something? Are we sure that the 'Run a command' input field can accept a PowerShell command? That's all I can think of :-/

Plerry

It seems the command handling in FFS has changed.
See here.
It may be that the FFS command is presently not using/aware of the default path definitions.
Try adding the full path to powershell.exe .

cagross

>> Try adding the full path to powershell.exe .

I gave that a shot, and entered the following into the 'Upon completion' 'run a command' input field:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe echo `a

I then saved my .gui file, made an edit to a file in the source directory, clicked the 'Compare' button, then clicked the 'Synchronize' button. The synchronization occurred, but still no sound was played. Thoughts? Am I not allowed PowerShell commands here?

I tried both backslashes and forward slashes in the path, but to no avail.

As a test, I replaced my command with simply 'notepad' then carried out a sync. As expected, after the sync completed, the Notepad program was opened.

MadBat

It's insane that this is how it has to be done. I'd expected a simple option to enable or disable the notification sound despite the auto-close being set.

However, for those that still need this like me, this is the correct command to run on completion:
powershell.exe -c "& {(New-Object Media.SoundPlayer 'C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\Resources\gong.wav').PlaySync();}"

Replace the string between single quotes ' ' with the path to your wav file.