Syncing Files without Folder match

Discuss new features and functions

twetzel

I am not sure how to do this. I have 2 file collections (various folders, etc) that I want to compare and then update the second. However, The folder structure has changed on the destination.

I want to make sure the second has all of the first location's files, but they will not necessarily be in the same place. How do I set up a compare for that?

Thanks!

Plerry

At least with FreeFileSync you can't.

lucas1silva1s

I have the same question! I do not know if I undestand, but "twetzel" wants do say if it is possibly to sync moved files without create duplicates, is it? Because I want to suggest the FreeFileSync team to improve this feature, it will be very useful, becase every time i want to update my backup, what i catch in another pc, always occour to me to have duplicated files, because for example, i decide to organize the backup, and when i trow to sync it again, it simply create duplicated copies, instead to compare each folder with the same content and change the directory to be updated! Will have a solution for this problem? Have a possibility to have a new feature than fix this problem?

Plerry

In most cases, FFS is able to detect moved or renamed files, provided:

- The files were previously synced by FFS within the scope of the left and right base location or any of its subfolders.
- For above sync, the Detect Moved Files option is selected.

However, what the topic starter twetzel describes does not suggest that the above provisions apply.
As FFS does not have file duplicate finder capabilities, FFS will simply copy files over in their existing folder structure (relative to the left and right base location).
Wheter FFS will create duplicate copies depends on the sync variant you have selected.
The Update variant may create duplicate copies, the Mirror variant will not.