Google Drive authentication fails when VPN'd

Get help for specific problems

deanhill1971

I just started experimenting with FreeFileSync, and have been really impressed with the feature set and overall "polish" of the application. I'm using version 10.24.

My main use case is a two-way sync of Google Drive and my local drive. This works fine when I'm not VPN'd to my work network. The successful steps are:
1. Click the Access online storage button (which has a Google Drive + Cloud icon).
2. Click Add connection.
3. A browser window opens with a "Sign in with Google" option to select a Google account. Click an account.
4. Click Allow.
5. The browser window says: Authentication completed. You may close this page now and continue with FreeFileSync.

However, when VPN'd the authentication fails. Steps 1-4 are the same in this case.
For step 5 the browser window says:
Authentication failed.
Unable to connect to Google Drive. CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_HOST: Could not resolve host:
www.googleapis.com [curl_easy_perform]
FFS also shows a message box with same information.

Strangely, I've used two other tools that authenticate fine to Google Drive when VPN'd. They show steps 3-5 just like FFS when it works. The apps are CyberDuck and the Total Commander cloud plugin. So FFS must authenticate differently than both of those apps. I'm a coder, but haven't looked at the FFS source code.

Any thoughts on what is happening? Thanks