ERROR_WRITE_PROTECT

Get help for specific problems

Ferdinand

I have been using FreeFileSync for a while with real satisfaction. It does not work any more.
I first get an error message : ...RecycleBin-df4affs.tmp and when I ignore it I get the enclosed error messages.
I'm using Windows 10 have applied "disable write protection" (even though I don't think my disks are protected.
Can you help me with this problem ?Image
Attachments
FreeFileSync problem.jpg
FreeFileSync problem.jpg (170.99 KiB) Viewed 778 times
FreeFileSync problem.jpg
FreeFileSync problem.jpg (170.99 KiB) Viewed 778 times

xCSxXenon

Are these flash drives?

Ferdinand

Thank you for your response. It is one USB disk with 4 partitions. I synchronise the partitions with 4 directories on a second USB disk. I have made a Microsoft repair on all four partitions. Nothing changed. I have made a complete uninstall of the program (with register scan). The curious thing is that in the beginning it worked fine. Any suggestions ?
Kind regards,
Ove Lange

xCSxXenon

I have seen many flash drives randomly set to 'readonly' for some reason.
Look at method 5 in this link:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-fix-write-protection-errors-on-a-usb-stick/

If that doesn't work, report back. I wouldn't experiment with the other settings unless you are very comfortable. The idea is to use 'diskpart' to access some hidden properties and fix them if set to read-only

Ferdinand

Before I try to disable the write protection I have some questions :

1. When I save a file to the backup (sync destination) disk I have no write protection problem. Why would FeeFileSync then identify the disk as write protected ?
2. In the first and second error message it is referred to the impossibility to create a RecycleBin directory. What's it's purpose ?

Plerry

1) This may depend on the user credentials (and associated permissions) you run FFS under.
If those differ from when you save a file manually, you may run into a permission issue.
2) This depends on your selected Deletion Method. See here.

Ferdinand

I give up. I have tried three other sync programs and they all run smoothly on my PC. I have chosen one (fairly sophisticated). I'll be back if and when an FFS update has solved my problem.

xCSxXenon

I don't think FFS can be updated to solve a problem that a single user is having, likely related to settings

Ferdinand

Fair enough. I will continue with the other program. Thank you for your responses.