Delete Stale Targets during "UPDATE ->" ?

Discuss new features and functions

JDB

Hi,

I'm trying to determine if I still have any stale ("orphaned") target files when peforming a sync using "Update >" after changing the Exclude filter.

I hope that when I add a directory to the "Filter Exclude" list, that the next time I synchronize, all the excluded files will be deleted from the target if they already exist there from a previous synchronization.

For example, assume I have synced C:\TEMP to F:\TEMP in the past. Now I don't want to sync it any more. If I add "\TEMP\" to the Exclude filter, and I run FFS again, will previous contents written to F:\TEMP be deleted when the synchronization variant is set to "UPDATE >" ? Or do I need to delete manually? My directory structure is more complicated than this example, and it seems like some of the orphans have in fact disappeared, but I would like some authoritative confirmation that this is a feature as opposed to muddy perception on my part.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

-John

JDB

Hi, Sorry, I think what I am looking for is the MIRROR mode of synchronization already provided!

As long as it doesn't modify the LEFT FOLDER!

Apologies for spinning your wheels.

-John

Plerry

If C:\ and F:\ are respectively your left and right base location, and you Exclude \TEMP\, neither C:\TEMP nor F:\TEMP are still part of the sync.
So, if F:\TEMP pre-exists, it will not be deleted by the FFS sync,
irrespective of using the Mirror or Update sync variant
and irrespective of if C:\TEMP (still) exists.

However, if C:\TEMP and F:\TEMP exist (e.g. as a result of previous sync) and \TEMP\ is not excluded per the Exclude Filter, and you now delete C:\TEMP:
If you use the Mirror sync variant, at the next sync also F:\TEMP will be deleted.
If you use the Update sync variant, at the next sync F:\TEMP will not be deleted.
Last edited by Plerry on 11 Jun 2020, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

JDB

Thanks Plerry, that explains all the scenarios very well.