ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED: Access is denied. [MoveFileEx]

Get help for specific problems

Hk24

started getting error massage after updating to FreeFileSync_10.24_Windows_Setup.

Cannot move file
"D:\USEFUL\xxx~5da8.ffs_tmp" to
"D:\USEFUL\xxx.pdf".
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED: Access is denied. [MoveFileEx]

reverted back to FreeFileSync_10.22_Windows_Setup. But, still the same error. Unable to get rid of it. Any solution please

xCSxXenon

Try moving that file manually and see what happens

jimmacmillan

Same thing here. I'm able to manually move the files.

jimmacmillan

Just went back and installed 10.22 and now it's working.

BobMac1547

Using FFS 12.1
I've been having this error pop up pretty consistently so I've finally decided to post. The only difference between occurrences is the final name of the temp file, but it's always a variation of GlobalSettings.xml.xxxx.tmp.
FFS_error.png
FFS_error.png (8.89 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Any help out there?
Site Admin

Zenju

Using FFS 12.1
I've been having this error pop up pretty consistently so I've finally decided to post. The only difference between occurrences is the final name of the temp file, but it's always a variation of GlobalSettings.xml.xxxx.tmp.
FFS_error.png
Any help out there? BobMac1547, 21 Mar 2023, 21:17
Most likely AV software is responsible/interfering. To confirm, the tool of choice is Process Monitor: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace

BobMac1547

I'm running Malware Bytes Premium 4.5.25; Windows Defender is disabled.

Since the error only occurs sometimes--though many times--shall I run Process Monitor constantly and then send the trace file when the error happens again? It seems like it would create a huge trace file. But I'll do it if that's what's best.

I'll be upgrading to Win11 very soon. Might this issue be fixed in Win11?

Thanks...

xCSxXenon

viewtopic.php?t=9637
I see you posted there as well...unfortunate

As I said in that thread, I had that issue 2-3 times six months ago, but never since. I haven't changed anything to achieve it. Still Windows 10, same hardware, everything. I've updated FFS as versions release, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the errors. I don't think it is necessarily AV related, I have Microsoft Security completely disabled and have no other AV installed on the machine that got the error.

Mwyarm

I thought the topic at viewtopic.php?t=9637 was the most recent topic so I posted I am having the same error at the above link. I see this topic is more recent. Sorry, I did not see this one first to post here. Let me know if I need to copy that content and put it here. Thanks