[FEATURE REQUEST] Versioning by disk space

Discuss new features and functions

cjdshaw

I love the versioning feature of FFS. Between it and date macros, I have a really elegant backup solution. The only extra thing I'd like is disk space based versioning. If I have a small text file, I'm happy to keep lots of versions of it, but a multi-gigabyte, maybe only 3. Could there be another option alongside

Last x days
Minimum
Maximum
Max disk space

Thanks

xCSxXenon

You could set up individual folder pairs with different settings for versioning. This would only be if your storage organization keeps big files separate from small though. I like the idea of disk based versioning, although I can see some challenges with it.

cjdshaw

I had thought of that, but my daily backup is multiple pairs already, so doubling that up would be a pain to maintain

Scarbrow

At the risk of "necrothreading" (I have run a couple searches, but I have not seen advice on etiquette about this, sorry if this is a mistake), I would also be very interested in this feature.

While I was trying to find how to correctly suggest the feature, I found what I think it's a solution:
1) Put on sync options, the versioning rules for the general case
2) Make two folder pairs with the same source and target paths but different local filter, as suggested on complex filter rules
3) Put a filter for "max size" on the first one, leave general sync options
4) Put a filter for "min size" on the second one, and add local sync options with a versioning system with less generations / shorter max time

Could some power user confirm if this would in fact work?

EDIT: Ran some tests, there seems to be a problem with this, the file size filters do not avoid triggering the warning of "Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple folder pairs. To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is included by only one folder pair." That is even if the filters are strictly disjoint (in my test, one of them is up to 1023KB, the other is minimum 1024KB)

EDIT2: If you make it work by ignoring the message (just tested it), the synchronization works just fine, BUT you have to make a different folder for each of the folder pairs. Otherwise, the most strict limit applies, regardless of file size.

EDIT3: This thread seems to be relevant