multiple users is available for mass deploym

Get help for specific problems

merinos

Hello,

If the rollout is done for 1000 users in silent mode how much do we have to pay using FreeFileSync Donation Edition 1000 users?

regards

gunnarh

There is no Information regarding "Multi-User" any more in the FAQ, seems the conditions changed.

May you please provide current Information on how "Donation" for a large Number (Company-wide deployment) of machines is allowed to be done?

xCSxXenon

Looks like a donation is for three devices but I feel like I remember a dynamic donation box that allowed you to select the number of machines/installs...

gunnarh

Until some months ago there definitely was a "self calculation" Tool behind the link above. It was something like 10,- per device per year. But now all informations regarding "multiple users" is removed. And even the clause that was saying that "automated deployment" without paying the donation edition is not allowed is not in the FAQ and terms any more.

So I have no idea if it is allowed to self automate the free installer (which doesn't support silent installation, because silent installation is a donation feature). And I have no idea what amount has to be paid for mass-deployment for a huge amount of machines.

I already tried to email zenju, but sadly no response. Our users are asking for FreeFileSync, but it seems currently there is no official way to bulk-donate and mass-deploy.
Site Admin

Zenju

The FreeFileSync Donation Edition is intended for private use only. FreeFileSync doesn't currently offer a commercial version. However the free version can still be used unconditionally:
https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#commercial

gunnarh

Thanks for your reply zenju.

But as "silent installation" is only a "Donation Edition" feature, how can mass-deployment be made according to your terms if the "Donation Edition" is only available for private use?

kabri

I do have exactly the same question, please offer a way to allow silent install, either in the free version or, better, with a multi-user license.
In most cases this feature is used in a company context, not in a private one for 3 devices...

gunnarh

I have no Idea why Zenju tries to protect the setup to automate deployment. I would understand if silent installation is a feature for "multiuser/site/enterprise-license", but as we know the Donation Edition is only for private use there is currently no paid Version for business use available. And the FAQ says:
FreeFileSync may be used in business, commercial, and government environments without cost.
... but which business or government environment would install machines manually without automated software deployment?

bgstack15

gunnarh: If an enterprise wanted to deploy software such as FreeFileSync, there are tools they can use to deploy any arbitrary set of files and registry keys that can be grouped together as "an installation." Most organizations have their own customized way to do it, and it wouldn't involve using the provided installer.

gunnarh

@bgstack15 that's true, but read the FAQ of FreeFileSync again: that's not allowed to repackage! The original Installer has to be used.

bgstack15

Well, that doesn't sound like a GPL'ed software release, then.

Plerry

As long as it only for own use, I suppose repackaging is OK.
It is generally not permitted to re-distribute the original package or to distribute a repackaged version.

kabri

I perfectly understand the idea but you can imagine, that "suppose" is far not good enough to install the software on hundreds of company machines.
So, as long we can not solve the conflict between the given licenses and the way the software can be deployed, we must not use it.
That is a pity!