Issue with FFS and Dropbox

Get help for specific problems

rubendn

Here is my scenario and I'm hoping someone has a solution...

I have a folder called C:\Folder that I use FFS to mirror with C:\Dropbox\Folder on my main computer.

The reason I don't keep the contents of C:\Folder in my Dropbox is because of database files and other types of files that update frequently and don't work too well with Dropbox.

I also have the same setup on my laptop to be able to sync the same files to both computers.

The issue I'm encountering is that Dropbox sync's the sync.ffs_db file in the root of each folder which messes up the mirror on the next computer after it is done on the first computer.

I don't have a way for Dropbox to ignore that file (At least that I've found).

Thanks.

xCSxXenon

You can disable 'detect moved files' and it should stop the creation of that file altogether. For a small amount of files or minimal renames/moves, this shouldn't impact performance

cjdshaw

I have a similar issue. A good solution would be for FFS to set the com.dropbox.ignored attribute for its database and lock files. This can be set manually, but seems to get lost every time FFS updates the files
See: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/ignored-files

xCSxXenon

You could run a command upon completion that runs that powershell cmdlet on the db file. At that point, you might as well disable the db altogether though

rubendn

In my Synchronization settings, it is checked but grayed out so I can't change the "Detect Moved Files" option.

According to the documentation, "The Mirror variant however, does not use the database files to find synchronization directions, so detection of moved files is not enabled by default."

I have been using the mirror and even though the db file is being synced by Dropbox, it looks like the mirror is working correctly on both computers.

You mentioned that you might as well disable the db altogether in response to the other message? How is that done and then how does the program know which side of the mirror is the correct one?

xCSxXenon

If you are syncing two computers and a cloud storage folder, you don't want mirror, you want two-way. If you are using your files on both computers, you want two-way, or you risk losing changes made on one computer under the right conditions. Mirror is used for backing up, two-way is used when you want bi-directional syncing. If it is grayed out, you probably have two-way selected, or you are using multiple folder pairs and are looking at global/local settings and need to switch to the other, or enable 'use local settings'.

cjdshaw

I'm using Mirror to back up some of my Dropbox folders. There are often large files moved or renamed, so I want the "Detect moved files" option, which needs the database. Telling Dropbox to ignore it once the FFS is complete rather defeats the object, since Dropbox will have been continuously syncing it and the lock files during the FFS procedure

rubendn

Sorry, my bad. I am using Two-Way not Mirror.