ffs_db files to other folder possible?

Discuss new features and functions

gunternerd

Hi,
it is possible to save the ffs_db files not in the target folder? If 2 Pc sync the Folder at the same time, one of them make a new file and renamed it like *_1.ffs_db. And then we have 2 or more files of them and nobody delete it.

Best regards
Attachments
ffsdb.jpg
ffsdb.jpg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 2368 times

Plerry

> If 2 Pc sync the Folder at the same time ...
This is to be avoided at all times.
By default, FFS also protects against this condition. See the LockDirectoriesDuringSync part of the Manual section on Expert Settings.

*.ffs_db files need to be in the "source" and "target" folder of the sync. Perlocation, there should be only one *.ffs_db file that contains relevant information on all sync locations it has been synced with, not just of the present sync (see this thread).
That is also the reason these files can not be located elsewhere. If you would modify the *.ffs_db location of a sync running on PC1, how is the sync running on PC2 to know that modified location. PC2 may not even have access to that modified location. See also here.

From the list of *.ffs_db and *.ffs_lock files you show, it is not clear if they reside in one and the same folder or in different locations. Nevertheless, as you seem to still the use of ffs_lock files enabled, it is not clear (to me) how this can happen.

quiquelhappy

I *need* the database file to be on a different folder other than the source folder. I'm copying a workfolder to a backup folder and I can't allow the database file to be present on the workfolder, as it breaks our current folder structure policy. In my case, only one computer performs the mirror at any given time.

Thanks in advance,
Quique.

quiquelhappy

Related to: viewtopic.php?t=7469&p=25177&hilit=different+folder+database#p25177

Can we make this happen, but make clear that syncs can only be performed from one computer at a time? Thanks.

Plerry

I can't speak for the author, but I would not hold my breath for such change.
But:
... In my case, only one computer performs the mirror at any given time.quiquelhappy, 13 Jul 2021, 07:34
It seems you run (or need) a Mirror sync, not a TwoWay sync.
Mirror syncs will run perfectly fine without the use of the ffs_db files (deselect Detect Moved Files).
The only feature missing then, is that files moved or renamed in the source and already existing in the destination will be deleted from and copied again to the destination, instead of being moved or renamed there.
If moving or renaming files in your source is less common, this seems an option to seriously consider.

quiquelhappy

I mean, I can deselect it, it's just that it would be nice to have it, since we do move large folders and files from once place to another. I've it working with the dmf option deselected, hopefully the feature to have the database file somewhere else is implemented at some point :)

Have a nice day and thanks for taking your time to reply