Cannot copy file

Discuss new features and functions

mikexx

I've got 30,00 of these errors:

Cannot copy file
"C:\DumpStack.log" to
[Pathname]\[filename].ffs_tmp".
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED: Access is denied. [CopyFileEx]

And as many files with the ending ffs_tmp in the versioning folders.

Just counted near 40,000 files ending in ffs_tmp in the backup directory too.

I'm using 11.0

xCSxXenon

Is it the same file every time? Consider excluding it

mikexx

No! 30,000 seperate files!!

The example I gave was bad one as being a short path and Windows 10 system file.

Unfortunately the log file only shows the first 25 of 28,931 items but I think most have a long path name.

BTW Your suggestion may take a while :-)

mikexx

This is an example from a failed run:

16:31:59 Error Cannot copy file
"C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGroupLimited.Ubuntu18.04onWindows_79rhkp1fndgsc\LocalState\rootfs\usr\share\terminfo\h\ha8686" to
"\\DNS-323-1\Backup\C-Backup\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGroupLimited.Ubuntu18.04onWindows_79rhkp1fndgsc\LocalState\rootfs\usr\share\terminfo\h\ha8686~4d35.ffs_tmp".
ERROR_FILE_EXISTS: The file exists. [CopyFileEx]

While it says it exists I can use a utility like filelocator pro to find and then delete these files. But the error will appear again on the next run. As do the dangling ffs_tmp files!

You may note this line is only 178 charcters long and so should not be affected by any path limit, not that one exists in Windows 10.

xCSxXenon

What is hosting that network storage? Can you try a small set of those files to a local destination? It may be something with that

JPringle

I have the same error for one file when syncing two HDD with FFS 11.1 under Windows 7

08:52:00 Erreur Impossible de déplacer le fichier
"F:\Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\fr-FR-3-0~2466.ffs_tmp" vers
"F:\Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\fr-FR-3-0.bdic".
ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS: Impossible de créer un fichier déjà existant. [MoveFileEx]

The file to sync is fr-FR-3-0.bdic. It seems that FFS create a temporary copy before renaming it after, and it can't.
fr-FR-3-0~2466.ffs_tmp is the temporary FFS file, it doesn't exist on my HDD

Only this file has this problem, all the rest is OK

mikexx

What is hosting that network storage? Can you try a small set of those files to a local destination? It may be something with that xCSxXenon, 11 Sep 2020, 17:13
This is a local NAS storage device, A Dlink DNS323 running ALT-F. It uses SMB 1 and 2. I have something like 2TB of data (2 million files) stored on this NAS device without any issues.

mikexx

fr-FR-3-0~2466.ffs_tmp is the temporary FFS file, it doesn't exist on my HDD
JPringle, 14 Sep 2020, 09:58
I wonder if it has a wobbly when the file name includes a "~"?

JPringle

fr-FR-3-0~2466.ffs_tmp is the temporary FFS file, it doesn't exist on my HDD JPringle, 14 Sep 2020, 09:58
I wonder if it has a wobbly when the file name includes a "~"? mikexx, 15 Sep 2020, 15:22
Only Zenju can say that. As I wrote, this name seems to be a temporary name fixed by FFS

xCSxXenon

Try running the sync with 'fail-safe' copying unchecked. If that doesn't work, we will want to look into permissions
Site Admin

Zenju

[CopyFileEx]: Could be: viewtopic.php?t=7196
You can send me a Process Monitor trace and I can check: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace
But first simplify your sync to a single file only.

[MoveFileEx]: Doesn't make any sense, unless the file "F:\Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\fr-FR-3-0.bdic" somehow "appeared" *after* FreeFileSync comparison or the network driver of "F:\" is just buggy.

JPringle

[MoveFileEx]: Doesn't make any sense, unless the file "F:\Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\fr-FR-3-0.bdic" somehow "appeared" *after* FreeFileSync comparison or the network driver of "F:\" is just buggy. Zenju, 25 Sep 2020, 17:26
Hi Zenju

F:\ is not a network driver for I sync two physical external HDD. F:\ is the destination

The file \Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\fr-FR-3-0.bdic exists on both HDD. Here is a capture of F:\Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\ before the sync :
SkypeForLinux.PNG
SkypeForLinux.PNG (21.06 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
...but FFS doesn't see it when doing the compare (F is on the right) :
FFS_SkypeForLinux.PNG
FFS_SkypeForLinux.PNG (5.44 KiB) Viewed 3996 times

JPringle

I have manually deleted the file \Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\fr-FR-3-0.bdic on the drive F and tried a new comparison. Surprise, FFS shows two occurences of this file!
FFS_SkypeForLinux_after_deletion.PNG
FFS_SkypeForLinux_after_deletion.PNG (31.79 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
Site Admin

Zenju

So G:\ is case-sensitive while F:\ is a case-insensitive file system.

JPringle

Both G:\ and F:\ are USB HDD with NTFS partition, and I do the sync on a Windows 7 system, so I don't think there is a case-sensitive or non-sensitive problem

JPringle

You were right Zenju, I checked on the original Linux station (HDD1 and HDD2, known as F:\ and G:\ on Windows, are two backup disks that I update remotely on a Windows station) and there are two directories with the same name, one in lower case and the other with an uppercase letter :-(
skypeforlinux.png
skypeforlinux.png (32.21 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
So during the synchronization on the Windows computer, FFS sees twice the same name.

Thanks for the diagnosis.
Site Admin

Zenju

[MoveFileEx]: Doesn't make any sense, unless the file "F:\Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\fr-FR-3-0.bdic" somehow "appeared" *after* FreeFileSync comparison or the network driver of "F:\" is just buggy. Zenju, 25 Sep 2020, 17:26
Hi Zenju

F:\ is not a network driver for I sync two physical external HDD. F:\ is the destination

The file \Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\fr-FR-3-0.bdic exists on both HDD. Here is a capture of F:\Linux_config\skypeforlinux\dictionaries\ before the sync :
SkypeForLinux.PNG

...but FFS doesn't see it when doing the compare (F is on the right) :
FFS_SkypeForLinux.PNG JPringle, 27 Sep 2020, 04:20
Could be a corrupted disk, fixable via Windows error checking: viewtopic.php?t=9776#p36079