The drive I backup up onto is full, but the original isn't!

Get help for specific problems

Searcher

I've set up the syncing in such a way that anything that is on the backup drive that isn't on the original drive, gets deleted.

Despite that, my backup drive is full, whereas the original drive isn't!

They are identical drives; same size, same brand, same model - and I started off with both brand new.

I save files onto the original drive, and then sync to the backup drive as often as possible, for data safety.

But now the backup drive is full, but the original drive isn't. Help, please folks!

xCSxXenon

Run spacesniffer on the destination drive and see where the space is taken. Is it deleting to the recycle bin? versioning?

Searcher

Thanks for your swift reply, xCSxXenon!
I'm afraid I'm a bit of a newbie at this, so I need some hand-holding, here.

Is Spacesniffer another piece of software? And I'm not sure what you mean about seeing where the space is taken. I can see all the files that are there, and I've even compared it with the original drive, folder by folder. There are no size differences between the folders.

Are you saying that there may be hidden files or folders on the destination drive? And, if so, where did they come from?

The destination drive doesn't seem to be deleting to the recycle bin, although it is deleting files that have been moved or deleted on the original.

And sorry, but what do you mean by "versioning"?

Thanks!

therube

What are you backing up to?

Some NAS have "recycle bins", so your "deletions" may automatically be going there (& if so, spaced used wouldn't be released until the bin is cleared).

xCSxXenon

Google "spacesniffer"
It will show you what is taking up the drive's space. You can run spacesniffer on both drives even, and then you can compare the two. Run SpaceSniffer as admin as well.

Searcher

therube: I'm backing up one Toshiba external HDD to another identical such HDD.
I don't see any such "recycle bin" - where could I find it? It sounds like a plan!

xCSxXenon: Thanks - I'll have a look.