Change Request: allow changing auto retry during compare/sync

Discuss new features and functions

pcelati

Hi,
One of the features I like best about FFS is being able to have it auto retry when comparing/syncing. However, I often run very large uploads to Gdrive on a connection with very slow upload bandwidth so a FFS sync can take several days at a time. During that time, my WAN connection sometimes drops for anywhere from 10 seconds to an hour and my source directory (a Ceph filesystem) sometimes is randomly unavailable. That means sometimes FFS will throw up an error and I need to tell it to retry. Would it be possible to make an option for FFS to auto retry infinite times? It would make sense to perhaps have a dialog open showing the error, but FFS should continue retrying in the background. I know the philosophy of FFS is to not add new options, so perhaps saying "enter 0/-1 to retry forever" would be a suitable way to add this.

The other, related feature is would it be possible to allow changing the auto retry settings during comparison/sync? For sync, perhaps clicking on "Automatic retry" could bring up a dialog or show the input fields for auto retry count/interval. That way when you have a very long-running sync job you can change it if you notice it's still erroring out too often for a known reason. For when comparing, the same approach might work, so you click on "Automatic retry" and then you change what you need. I realise it's probably not easy to make this change though, so perhaps infinite retries are an easier start.
Site Admin

Zenju

I think simply entering a large number for "retry count" will do the same?

The second function can be achieved by cancelling the sync, changing settings, and continuing (=> no need for a new comparison).

So both can be done, the remaining question is then about convenience: Is this scenario important enough, so that error retry handling should be made accessible during comparison? The settings are already shown below the progress graphs:
retry.PNG
retry.PNG (7.15 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

vladi

The retrying problem is also important for me. I have Wi-Fi is temporarily unstable.
Currently 'auto retry' option does not work for me at all (v11.3).
Retry counter (100attemps, 10 sec) allways stay in 1/100 position and does not incrementing anyway. When timeout, the only new 10sec period is started...
I'm emulate the lost of Wi-Fi connection by ESET antivirus. It have an option to block all traffic. When unblock, all Internet function is recover, except of FreeFileSync functionality ...

vladi

Trying to ON/OFF network adapter in Windows 10 Pro. Same result. Without 'auto retry' future FreeFileSync cannot be used...
Site Admin

Zenju

The retrying problem is also important for me. I have Wi-Fi is temporarily unstable.
Currently 'auto retry' option does not work for me at all (v11.3).
Retry counter (100attemps, 10 sec) allways stay in 1/100 position and does not incrementing anyway. When timeout, the only new 10sec period is started...
I'm emulate the lost of Wi-Fi connection by ESET antivirus. It have an option to block all traffic. When unblock, all Internet function is recover, except of FreeFileSync functionality ... vladi, 16 Nov 2020, 15:00
This is regarding SFTP, right?

vladi

Yep!
Site Admin

Zenju

Fixed! There were two issues here:
• Start auto retry delay at time of error instead of reporting
• Fixed SFTP retry not working after network drop
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rx3woeuoq43jff3/FreeFileSync_11.5_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25282%2529.exe