System very slow when FFS scaning or syncing

Get help for specific problems

bonbonbillo

My system is windows 7. I set the realtime sync. But every time when FFS working(Scanning or copying), the system will be very slow to react.

xCSxXenon

Is it any slower than running the sync manually?

bonbonbillo

almost the same. if sync scan or copying , system will be slow.

xCSxXenon

Mechanical hard drive or SSD?
CPU?

xCSxXenon

You can open task manager to monitor resources while the sync is running. Whatever is being used most, percentage wise, is probably the bottleneck.

therube

Win7, i5-3570K, 16 GB ram (so older, fine, but no powerhouse)

I'm "syncing" (actually, simply copying, using FFS, at times) from HDD 7200 to USB 2.0 attached external HDD 5400 (let me tell you, with big data sets, ~3 TB, that is slow, ~20 KB/s) using various tools; FFS, Servant Salamander's Copy, FastCopy... & while FFS may be a little "heavier" compared to the others (most noticeable when I minimize all windows, a slight hesitation is observable), it is certainly not unduly slow & does not put an undo load on my system.

kr4z33

I have the same issue, my system is on Win 10, the realtime sync is between a local drive and files on a network drive. The system monitor indicates high CPU usage during the scanning, during this time, other things get a bit laggy. Would it be possible to enforce a maximum on the CPU resources that real time sync uses, or have it execute at a lower priority or something?

xCSxXenon

Well RTS probably isn't using high CPU, RTS simply starts a FFS run when changes are detected. You can run FFS with lower priority though.
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=expert-settings

kr4z33

The server of the network storage I sync to apparently gets overloaded by the FFS read and write activity, gives up, and tries to restart itself - according to the sysadmin. This also inconveniences others on my network, requiring me to limit my use of the FFS program.

So, apparently it is not so much a depletion of local resources, but an issue at the other end of the process, which I believe could be resolved with the speed limiting feature requested here: viewtopic.php?t=5325 which I will eagerly await with my fist full of donation money.