Installation Files Corrupted Consistency Check failed?

Get help for specific problems

Ibbykn1

Hello. I've been using this great program for a few years now and with the last two updates I can no longer update the software as each time I get the following error message:

Installation files are corrupted. Please reinstall FreeFileSync.
Consistency check failed for "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\Install.dat"

File content is corrupted. (invalid checksum)

Any ideas as to how this might be solved. I would greatly appreciate any help. I apologize in advance if this is a repost of a similar problem. I've tried to search the forums beforehand but with no luck. Thank you in advance.

xCSxXenon

Uninstall and reinstall from a fresh download link

Ibbykn1

Hi thanks for the reply. I tried what you mentioned and it did not work. I also downloaded older versions (which USED to work) but that wasn't working either. I ended up opening the Setup.Exe file from within Windows Explorer vs. opening it from the Chrome browser window download tray (the thing at the bottom where it shows you your current downloads). From looking at this forum it seemed like my antivirus software was interfering with the setup process. I checked my AV software on my laptop and it was being flagged - a false positive - for malware. So I checked on how to resolve this and it said I needed to open the file (FreeFileSync setup.exe) from within Windows Explorer and this worked and solved my problem. Thanks for following up. I was going to post a reply today. Hope this helps someone else.

xCSxXenon

Nice work! I always forget that people run antivirus software, not to mention something other than Defender!

Ibbykn1

It's a work computer and has Sophos onboard.