Feature request

Discuss new features and functions

cawright1

Hi all, thank you so much for this wonderful tool. I have been using for a few years now. Could I please make a feature request?

I use FreeFileSync to sync across various external disks and folders. Each time I need to do a sync run I need to manually search for the relevant disks and folders, so as to set the A - B transfers. It's not the end of the world of course, but it can be a pain and I would love an option in the tool to click on a previously saved sync setup. Maybe even the option to name it? i.e. 'Pics to External D'. One click on this would load the setup and I could commence backup immediately. Any chance at all?

Plerry

This feature is there already for years.
Simply save each of your syncs under a relevant name (the "Save" icon in the Configuration window top-left in the FFS GUI). Then, in the same Configuration window in the FFS GUI, select one (or more) of the syncs you want to run. This will load the configuration(s).

cawright1

Ah, yes I see. I guess coming from the android generation I expected icons to click for each template. That, of course, would be nice?

bgstack15

The screenshots from the main page show a list of recently-used sync configs:
The upper-left part of this default layout is the list of recently-used sync files. You select one, and then click the "synchronize" button in the upper right. I suppose if you wanted to make a single-use icon outside of FreeFileSync, you could make a desktop shortcut that runs "FreeFileSync.exe C:\path\to\syncfile.ffs_gui".

cawright1

Hi, great, thanks. A problem I have though - not yours obviously - is that each time I plug in an external usb backup drive, the drive letter changes, so the templates are no good. :-(

Gianni1962

Take a look at the manual, Variable Drive Letters:
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=variable-drive-letters

therube

Additionally... (for Windows)...

Generally, depending on circumstances, if you (actually) assign a drive letter, further down the alphabet, to particular removable devices, they are apt. to persist.

Like I assigned K: for my Kingston drive, & S: for my Seagate drive... and they're always that way.

Otherwise, something like, USBDLM - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows.

cawright1

Wonderful help, thank you so much guys.