FFS updates file modified time, creating endless syncing

Get help for specific problems

JPCoetzee

I'm using FFS 6.2 portable to backup to a Synology NAS mapped as a local drive. When FFS copies files to the NAS it updates the file modified time to the time of the copy operation. On the next sync, FFS sees that time difference between the two files and wants to copy them over again.
This cycle never ends.
I cannot use a later version of FFS because I always get the Error Code 32 bug, 'Cannot open file "GlobalSettings.xml"'.

Can anyone help?

many thanks

JPCoetzee

Answering my own question.
Windows Explorer does this too, when the NAS is mapped as a local drive. If I use the UNC path rather than the mapped drive (\\NAS\destination_dir rather than Y:\destination_dir) the correct modified-by date is copied over.
FreeFileSync behaves the same.

xCSxXenon

Nice looking! That does happens with some NAS devices.
The global issue you have can be fixed by installing the newer version twice, in my experience. I haven't had to do it since I did it once.

Claude23mai

Hello, this is my first writing in this forum.
I was just looking for a solution to my problem and I came across this discussion.
My source folder is "\\192.168.0.12\Data\My Documents".
My target folder is "mtp:\Galaxy Note10+\Card\My Documents".
When FFS (version 11.6) copies files to my SmartPhone, it updates the file modified time to the time of the copy operation and, as JPCoetzee says, it's the perpetual motion!
I also tried with a local source folder (D:\My Documents), and the problem is the same.
To be continued...
Best Regards, Claude.

Plerry

The fact that the timestamp corresponds to the time of the copy operation depends on the mtp-protocol implementation on you Galaxy phone, and can not be resolved by FreeFileSync (FFS).
However, what you may consider is, instead of using a FFS Mirror sync variant, to use a FSF Custom sync variant, and (assuming "mtp:\Galaxy Note10+\Card\My Documents" is your right side base location) define your sync actions as:
• For the Difference Category "Item exists on left side only" select the Action "Copy new item to right" (same as for Mirror)
• For the Difference Category "Left side is newer" select the Action "Update right item" (same as for Mirror)
• For the Difference Category "Conflict/item can not be categorized" select the Action "Leave as unresolved conflict" (same as for Mirror) or any other suitable action.
• For the Difference Category "Right side is newer" select the Action "Do nothing" (different from Mirror)
• For the Difference Category "Item exists on right side only" select the Action "Delete right item" (same as for Mirror)

By selecting "Do nothing" for the 4th Difference Category, you would prevent persistent re-copying over at the next sync. Any files created or modified at your left-side location after the previous FFS sync will still be newer and correctly copied over.
This method only fails in case you would e.g. restore a previous version of a file on the left side.

xCSxXenon

Shouldn't have to do that, I have a Note 10+ and haven't set anything special in the settings. Since it happens with a local folder as the source, I'd be curious what OS you are running on your PC and phone

Claude23mai

Thanks for your replies,
My PC OS: Windows 10 Famille 64 bits, 19042.804
My Galaxy Note 10+ OS: Version Kernel = 4.14.113-20606106
My Galaxy Tab S3 OS: Version Kernel = 3.18.115-17010817
Thanks for any help,
Best Regards,
Claude.

therube

(I ran into the opposite situation, Recurring "Updates" That "Don't", newer dated source files that ended up being dated, older, on the target end.)

xCSxXenon

What Android version is that?
I wonder if it is file contents that are the culprit. I have seen that in the past here

Claude23mai

Hello, sorry, I gave up, I uninstalled FreeFileSync.
Instead, I installed SMBSync2 on my tablet and SmartPhone.
Regards.