Compare not accurate/useable on windows 7 pro

Discuss new features and functions

baggins

Hi,

I have installed FFS 11.5 on windows 7.

Comparing two 1TB disks same make and model purchased together that were part of a raid 1 configuration and are SMART error free.

Each disk is mounted:
disk 0 = D:
disk 1 = F:

So one would assume the disks started out identical. I have been writing some new info to disk 0, disk 1 was left in its original separated state (a carbon copy of Disk0). However i need to confirm this.

I manually compare files and the files are there in both, same size, same name, same modification, same created and same accessed date.

Yet doing a compare FFS shows all (I did not check all 92k of them) of the files not there on disk 1?
I want to sync the two disks blow away disk 1 and then rebuild the raid 1.

The disks contain ~101GB approx on each after the compare FFS states have to sync 185GB of data?

Any idea on whats wrong?

From my perspective the compare should show only a couple of gigs of diff's which are the new files written to disk 0. I have compared manual about 50 files in various trees and the files are identical and there on both disks in the same locations. But in FFS show as not there on the right.

As i don't want to assume that absolutely nothing was ever written to disk 1 (its been about 6 months the disks have been separated) before i blow it away to rebuild the raid this is a bit confusion/frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated.

baggins

Just reread my post and want to make the first paragraph clear.

I ran the two disks for 2 years as a raid 1 pair as a data drive (not OS). Then during a rebuild due to motherboard failure is split the pair/raid as the new mother boards raid controller was different. From that point they have been mapped as individual drives on D: and F: and both function fine and are error free.

I did continue to use D: as the data drive and that's how it has some additional data. However I did find some extra files on F: likely written there by accident.

What I'm trying to accomplish with FFS is a compare to see if the differences on F: are worth saving before i blow it away and rebuild the raid pair.

Any help would be appreciated, may be its my lack of knowledge using FFS as it got very high praise but what I'm seeing does not make sense.

therube

If you do a compare between F: & D: (start smaller, & compare only particular directory tree with minimal changes within), & then set filtering, I'm thinking that should point out files that were inadvertently written to F: (for you to then explorer further).

Make F: your left-hand side.
Make D: your right-hand side.
Set Comparison to 'File time and date'
Set Synchronization to 'Update'

Run Compare.

At the bottom of the FFS window, deselect 'Show files that are equal' & deselect 'Show files that won't be copied'.

With that, files that then show on the left-hand side, F:, will be files that either do not exist on D:, or that differ in time/size.

Then it is a matter of examining those files to see if you want to copy them back to D:

(I think that should be right.)

baggins

Worked like a charm,

Thank you,